Windows install 64BIT Trap 0000 EXCEPTION!

five

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi im having a issue with my new PC ive just built its a Intel Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66GHz (Retail 775) CPU/ Processors with a Asus P5KC motherboard.At the moment it has a version on Windows XP 32bit running on there fine but im in the process of installing a upgrade to the 64bit Version will not install as I get this error message (Trap 0000 0428 -------EXCEPTION------- ),this appears after I Press Any Key function message when installing windows.What is this as its really sending me mad ive tryed replacing my memory ram down to 2GB x1 slot but I do have a full 8GB ram ,so therefore I need to run the 64bit to realease , as 32bit only goes up to 3-4 GB ram.Any ideads what the issue ive set my motherboard settings to deafualt so far but no luck.PLEASE HELP!!

The Hard drive used for the install windows is the -

Seagate ST380815AS 80GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 8MB Cache - OEM

2nd Hard Drive not used -

Samsung SpinPoint HD501LJ 500GB SATAII Hard Drive 16MB Cache - OEM

Motherboard

ASUS P5N-MX GeForce 7050 Socket 775 onboard VGA 6 channel audio mATX Motherboard

CPU/ Processors

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66GHz (Retail 775)

have you tried installing a 64bit version of vista at all to see if you get the same error message? It could be that xp 64 doesnt like part of your setup

Checked on the asus site re the board and it is defo capable of running both XP and Vista 64bit so you should not be getting the problems you are.

Have you got the latest bios and drivers from the site?

Suggest stripping the new 64bit build down to single stick of memory, 80GB HD and CD, no sata and see if you get the same problem.

Let us know how you get on.

Ive updated to latest Bios for my motherboard and all so stripped down to just one slot of 2GB ram and ive all so tryed Vista 64bit and XP 64bit the same issue what is this problem I know it works with XP 32bit and Vista 32bit I cant see whats causing this is there anything I need to change in my motherboard bios setup ive left all settings on default.

maybe there is a deeper issue here then. If it fails to install the 64bit versions of Vista and XP there could be either an incompatibility or a problem in your hardware.

Have you considered trying out a 64bit linux just to make certain its the 64bit nature of the OS that is the problem?

The only component installed on the pc system is the motherbord itsself and graphics card and cpu nothing else extra,other then he USB mouse and Keyboard but this is needed for me to press click when prompted to pres any key.like said its very strange why only 32bit versions of windows work?

as I mentioend above - there may be something amiss with the motherboard. It could be faulty or just plain crap when it comes to 64bit OS's.

Try installing a 64bit Linux and see how that goes.

Maybe its time to make a decision on the MB not being fit for purpose.

Suggest you contact ASUS and find out if there is any known issue. Though their FAQ does not suggest so, but that's nothing to go by!!!

But most important, if it's a new MB, time is of the essence and you have a case to return it to the seller, under the sale of goods act. Note it is their duty to do what 'YOU' want, refund replace or repair, not the manufacturer, if that's what you want, as you have a contract with the seller not the manufacturer. Under UK law they are duty bound as you have bought goods that have been sold and look as though they are not fit for purpose or are faulty. They might decide to argue but they cannot win the argument so don't be put of buy bullsh*t from them. The normal 14 /28 days or whatever quoted do not apply if the goods were faulty or not fit for purpose at the time of purchase.

yes, but under the act you mention, the seller nor the manufacturer have any obligation to extend warranty periods. They wont do what ever you request of them, they will simply refer to their terms and as such probably offer a repair, replacement, refund etc.

In fact, the manufacturer doesnt need to do anything at all in this instance. The seller will simopky give a refund, so this advice isnt so constructive.

If you find the motherboard simply doesnt want to work in your system and is new, get a refund. I have an asus motherboard, it works fine with 64bit operating systems. The one I have is the M2N32 SLI Deluxe, its quite old now so you should be able to pick one up very cheaply from ebay etc. I have Vista 64bit ultimate installed and it works fine.

I dont suppose you have access to another motherboard that supports 64bit cpu's? If you did, you could see if it is any of your components that are causing this problem.

AFAIK, if you have specified that you wanted to run XP64 or Vista64 at time of purchase and the board is not compatible then you are entitled to your money back. If you did not then you are in a grey area. I had a lot of issues when I wanted to run NT and the rest of the world was using 95/98, when I put my order in I specified it had to run with NT.

Part of this whole mess is thanks to microsoft and their vista logo. There are several different types and they mean different things. However if it has a vista logo then it should be compatible with 32 and 64 bit versions of vista according to MS website.

well, that could be the reason then.

When it comes to the Vista sticker, isnt there more than one? For instance I got my current PC before Vista was released, its sticker says Vista capable - however there are also stickers saying Vista Compatible. I dont know what the difference is...

yes, but under the act you mention, the seller nor the manufacturer have any obligation to extend warranty periods. They wont do what ever you request of them, they will simply refer to their terms and as such probably offer a repair, replacement, refund etc.

In fact, the manufacturer doesnt need to do anything at all in this instance. The seller will simopky give a refund, so this advice isnt so constructive.

If you find the motherboard simply doesnt want to work in your system and is new, get a refund. I have an asus motherboard, it works fine with 64bit operating systems. The one I have is the M2N32 SLI Deluxe, its quite old now so you should be able to pick one up very cheaply from ebay etc. I have Vista 64bit ultimate installed and it works fine.

I dont suppose you have access to another motherboard that supports 64bit cpu's? If you did, you could see if it is any of your components that are causing this problem.

Don't recall mentioning anything about extending warranty periods and as I stated the contract is between the buyer and seller not manufacture and buyer. Clearly you have misread what is stated. Also on repair, replace or refund the buyer is the person who decides what course of action is appropriate to take as under the law seller cannot force a course of action on the buyer.

Don't recall mentioning anything about extending warranty periods and as I stated the contract is between the buyer and seller not manufacture and buyer. Clearly you have misread what is stated. Also on repair, replace or refund the buyer is the person who decides what course of action is appropriate to take as under the law seller cannot force a course of action on the buyer.
your right, of course, the retailer doesnt choose how the customer will respond. However, your interpretation of the law was very vague and a little misleading. The manufacturer and seller will not do anything you ask of them - this is unrealistic, but they will do whatever you like under their terms and conditions. The time periods advertised by the retailer will apply - they will not be extended past whatever limits they have in therir own terms and conditions.

Naturally, if someone buys a faulty motherboard and seeks to replace it 6 months later, then it may well be outside the period offered by the retailer. But you would still have a warranty from the manufacturer - again this would be stated in the paperwork with the item.

As oneman states, if you tell the retailer what you are after when you purchase the equipment then you have more to work on. If you dont ask, then you have nothing to prove your case. In fact his post was very erudite in the information it puts forward, very to the point.

Hello again sorry for the late reply glad to say all sorted came down to a hardware issue in the end,it was the memory ram slot I have 6 slots and it turned out the first two slots where causing the 2GB ram stick to fail and come up with the Trap 0000 EXCEPTION! ,,,so I tryed in the 3rd slot with the single 2GB stick and bingo worked.thank you for the post much apriciated.

Back