Windows explorer keeps closing !!!!

m4rkone

Inactive User
Reaction score
Can anyone help ?
I recently downloaded & tried to install an anti virus upgrade mcafee 08 and now everytime i start up my pc i get the following message :- Windows explorer as encountered a problem and needs to close sorry for any inconvienience.
This then leaves me with no task bar or icons so i cant do anything. I've tried starting the pc up in safe mode and ran a virus scan but nothing was found. I've also tried going back to a restore point which also didn't work it also wouldn't let me go back to a previous month to find an older restore point. The chances are that i have a virus so if anyone has any suggestions i would be very grateful for your help

In xp you can do a ctrl/alt/del which will bring up the windows security window, in which you can see task manager.

Click task manager and then new task. Type explorer.exe and ok. This will bring explorer back up so you can do whatever you need.

bring up MS Explorer if you can

than go tools / internet ops
than last tab "Advanced" than jsut restore IE ways by clicking

Reset and Restore advanced setting

/OR right click the icon if you cant keep the box open
and go into props

Good luck with IE you will need it

bring up MS Explorer if you can

than go tools / internet ops

/OR right click the icon if you cant keep the box open
and go into props

Good luck with IE you will need it

Can this be done when in safe mode ?
By the way it's not internet explore i have the problem with it's Windows explorer that keeps closing for some reason. I can only do stuff on my pc when it's in safe mode which dosen't let me access the internet

Thanks for your help anyway

Last edited:
Can this be done when in safe mode ?
By the way it's not internet explore i have the problem with it's Windows explorer that keeps closing for some reason. I can only do stuff on my pc when it's in safe mode which dosen't let me access the internet

Thanks for your help anyway

ah right sorry mate
hmm

what does it say when it closes "anythign? eg error codes"

oki forget that

if you have your win XP disk bung it in load it up boot from CD/DVD

as if you was clean installing XP

than repair your WinXP boot "NOT!" install XP or you will lose everything

let me know ^^

Last edited:
ah right sorry mate
hmm

what does it say when it closes "anythign? eg error codes"

oki forget that

if you have your win XP disk bung it in load it up boot from CD/DVD

as if you was clean installing XP

than repair your WinXP boot "NOT!" install XP or you will lose everything

let me know ^^
It just says windows as encountered a problem and needs to close etc.
I didn't get a windows XP disk when i bought the pc it was pre installed. I do have a partition on my hard drive could there be something in there that would let me reinstall it ?

I didn't get a windows XP disk when i bought the pc it was pre installed. I do have a partition on my hard drive could there be something in there that would let me reinstall it ?

leech XP mate even in safe mode with networking ^^

partition could have crap shit companys give you when you but a realy build rip-off pc :proud:

leech XP mate even in safe mode with networking ^^

partition could have crap shit companys give you when you but a realy build rip-off pc :proud:

Do you mean download ?

It was a download that's caused the problem i leeched an anti virus program and after trying to install it i got this problem i reckon i could have a virus.
So your saying i can still get on the net in safe mode ? If so i should be able to update some of the protection i have to get rid of any virus which might be causing the problem or is there another way you know of ?

Thanks for your help mate

Do you mean download ?

It was a download that's caused the problem i leeched an anti virus program and after trying to install it i got this problem i reckon i could have a virus.
So your saying i can still get on the net in safe mode ? If so i should be able to update some of the protection i have to get rid of any virus which might be causing the problem or is there another way you know of ?

Thanks for your help mate

yes mate if you cant get on in safe mode i would think about backing all your files up and clean installing XP

too many badshit in programs we leech now-a-days get a good scanner and scan everything to leech mate

and np hope you get it all fixed up

yes mate if you cant get on in safe mode i would think about backing all your files up and clean installing XP

too many badshit in programs we leech now-a-days get a good scanner and scan everything to leech mate

and np hope you get it all fixed up

Cheers Vodkaholic

Why dont you use windows system file checker.

Start > Run

sfc /scannow

SFUK

EDIT - You will need you windows XP cdrom to hand if it finds any problems.

Back