windows button and some task bar items not working when pressed

fus10n

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
As the title, sometimes when i click the windows start button nothing happens. Same with typing in the box next to the start button.

I've cleared out windows using the reset option. I also have used restore yesterday. Today its done the same.

Any ideas?

I've ran sfc/ scannow with no errors reported!

While i wait and see if anyone comes up with a suggestion, think i will just clean install :-(

Last edited:
Gave me the first smile of today :)

i know a bit overkill, but i only clean installed 2 weeks ago and its easy now i use an external drive for games and other stuff. Along with Ninite, its even easier. Just hope it solves the issue!

i know a bit overkill, but i only clean installed 2 weeks ago and its easy now i use an external drive for games and other stuff. Along with Ninite, its even easier. Just hope it solves the issue!

its done!

I think my issue may have been cloning windows from my hybrid ssd to a proper ssd. Only reason I did it was down to lazyness!

Mine has been doing something similar since last year. When I right click on the start button it works but when I left click nothing happens. Also the same thing when I click on taskbar icons.

To solve it temporarily I uninstall the latest updates, reboot and it all comes back. When windows grabs the security updates again it all stops working again.

I have disabled windows updates for now, by doing some registry tweeks as you can't normally stop windows 10 updates.

2 updates ago my pc started playing up. Sometimes when bringing it out of sleep I had a red cross through the internet icon and no mouse, after about 20 seconds the pc would then shutdown.
Other times the internet was ok but no mouse before shutting itself down, occasionally it would just wake up normally.

I was getting sick of this and was considering a reinstall but today it's been perfect. :)

2 updates ago my pc started playing up. Sometimes when bringing it out of sleep I had a red cross through the internet icon and no mouse, after about 20 seconds the pc would then shutdown.
Other times the internet was ok but no mouse before shutting itself down, occasionally it would just wake up normally.

I was getting sick of this and was considering a reinstall but today it's been perfect. :)
The problem started again after a month of being ok. The only thing I had done was tick enhancements in playback devices cos I was struggling to hear some youtube videos. I now recall installing a game or something about a month ago which made some change to my audio settings, it obviously unticked enhancements.
Who would have thought that setting could cause this problem :rolleyes:

Back