Windows 2003 Server with Vista/XP?

mobad

Inactive User
Reaction score
Ok so I installed 2003 server and isntalled AD.
How on Vista do I connect to the server now?

Any online videos on youtube or can download from torrents site to train me, specallyu for newbies like me

Right in Vista - I go to control Panel > System > Change Settings and where it says workgroup I change it to the 'Server Name'. I then get this error - the following error occurred validating the name " ". You were not connected because a duplicate name exists on the network. If joining a domain ....etc.

However if I go to start > run > \\server-name , It being me to the username/password prompt and when I enter a user name created in AD I am able to browse the files.

Any ideas whats wrong pls?

Where is the DHCP, DNS and WINS server for you network. It needs to be on your windows 2003 server and not anywhere else.

Could not see any w2k3 CBT on usenet right now, don't know about torrents. I did a seach on Active Directory on youtube and got quite a lot of hits but I don't know how good they are.

Right in Vista - I go to control Panel > System > Change Settings and where it says workgroup I change it to the 'Server Name'. I then get this error - the following error occurred validating the name " ". You were not connected because a duplicate name exists on the network. If joining a domain ....etc.

However if I go to start > run > \\server-name , It being me to the username/password prompt and when I enter a user name created in AD I am able to browse the files.

Any ideas whats wrong pls?

Surely you should be entering the domain name not the Server Name in the settings in vista ?

The DHCP, DNS and WINS server for the network are located on the WIN Server 2K3 machine.

Well as im new to this I followed an active directory tutorial on Youtube, which advised me to pu the server name as the workgroup.

Back