Windows 10 upgrade

alimac

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
for anyone still looking for win 10 it is still available for free till 16/01 but guess they will never stop it lkeep moving the goal posts lol

home or pro users can use the iso tool for fresh install with no need to use upgrade method

lol wish you had posted this earlier. I used the accessibility option for another pc and installed win7 first lol

no need to use assistive route just
Generate a genuine ticket with
gatherosstate.exe from your downloaded Windows 10 & fresh install

or as mentioned for home & pro users use migration tool

Download your original w10 ISO which is suitable for the upgrade path. I.E. W7(SP1) Ultimate upgrades to w10 pro.

Follow these steps
closely
1 check OS activated (optional)

1.1 Install all necessary drivers before the next step otherwise your hardware id may not match the Windows 10 hardware id.

2. Generate a genuine ticket of your installation by:

2.1 Copy gatherosstate.exe from your downloaded Windows 10 10240/10586/14393/15063/16299 ISO to your installation which should be upgraded.

2.2 Run it on your activated and validated Windows. It'll output GenuineTicket.xml. Save this on a USB thumb drive or something.

2.3 Then do a fresh install with your suitable w10 ISO, skip to enter key at setup procedure.

2.4 Once it's installed make sure your internet connection is DISABLED/do not enable the internet connection! Reboot w10.

2.5. Copy GenuineTicket.xml to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\ClipSVC\GenuineTicket\ of your w10 installation
and reboot again.

Connect online
, it should activate.

I just summarized this.
This method does NOT require the annoying upgrade process itself and avoids issues!

When doing another clean install in the future just install w10 again while being ONLINE. It activates again.

thanks to original op you know who you are

personally did this lots of times & never failed me

Last edited:
I used this (assistive technology loophole) on an old laptop last night. I'm positive I tried to upgrade it from Win7 a few years ago & it stated incompatible, not sure if the minimum spec reqd has been reduced but I ain't complaining.
Cheers for the heads-up @alimac
HH.

Why my windows, upgrading without ask?

Thats just windows. you can turn off auto updates. just google windows 10 turn off updates and you will find loads of videos.

sorry but i couldn't resist adding the picture below.

viber image.jpg

I used this (assistive technology loophole) on an old laptop last night. I'm positive I tried to upgrade it from Win7 a few years ago & it stated incompatible, not sure if the minimum spec reqd has been reduced but I ain't complaining.
Cheers for the heads-up @alimac
HH.

Don't superpose you still have the file you had to download from the assistive technology m$ site

google your friend for upgrading to the bloat if you so wish it got rid a while ago

google your friend for upgrading to the bloat

I have tried but google can't find , so was hoping someone had it. IF i knew what the file name was called i'd probably find it but no luck as yet.

It ended in January, even if you had the win 10 update exe file it wouldn't activate.

why not try the clean install method & generate genuine ticket that should still work

why not try the clean install method & generate genuine ticket that should still work

I may understand this wrong but will that only transfer my existing license? Rather than create a completely new one?

The windows assistance file way seems to be working so far. Will update if it activates properly!

clean install safer way no issues but hope it works for you

clean install safer way no issues but hope it works for you

Plan on that, will secure the setup to a live account then will do a fresh install later.

Back