windows 10 avast and malwarebytes

Sorry to hijack thread. I'm after installing win 10 in my pc that I've not used for years, so I'm better to go with Windows defender

Trashcan any/all of those AV titles. Defender is standard on all Win10 titles, so that's pretty much compulsory to normal and stable OS operation.

The other titles (literally pick your poison, ESET, Norton, Avast, McAffee, etc) are all just a bunch of non-essential, boot-slowing bloat. And really, when's the last time you heard of an actual (virus) infecting a machine? Too much leg-work needed this day-in-age-- and virii are TARGETED attacks... if you have a problem with viruses, then you have more systemic issues to worry about.

With that being said, here's a tried 'n true set of titles (only one needs to be purchased- you can opt *not* to purchase it, but I'd recommend it, as others have mentioned). This is not an exhaustive DIY, nor is it the most advanced means of which to facilitate a desired outcome, but it IS a great primer for those whom aren't employing such methods at this moment. There are more technical extensions and steps that you could employ alongside the following blurb (like Greasemonkey, et al), but this will get you to a point, where with regular scheduling and scans, you won't be contracting nasties at every corner of the interwebz.

Step 1: Protect your Browser-level :: Install this Extension into each browser you use (and if you're using IE, stop it.... stop it now)
Step 1a: Protect your Browser-level Advertisement Options :: Run the tool on each browser, and on each device (phone too), as it is explicitly bound to *each* app/browser
Step 2: Protect the OS-level :: Download these titles and run them in the same order - from BleepingComputer.com [or] via the links provided, below...
MalwareBytes Antimalware [I recommend buying the Premium version of this title] (be sure to configure your settings and 'enable early start'. Configure & run a custom scan which covers all drives and does the most extensive testing... this scan is saved for last, because depending on the size of your drive(s), it may take hours)​

Regularly running and updating these titles will keep you clean. Guaranteed.

If you're hyper-vigilant, I've also included (attached: block.zip) an exhaustive HOSTS file which blocks *pretty much* everything currently out in the wild. Note: the internet becomes MUCH smaller when using this file, so be aware that if your browser suddenly denies access to your favorite ______.com, it's because of this hosts file.​

Password: digitalworldz

Instruction:

1. Extract archive to your desktop > block.txt < , rename file to "hosts", without the ""s (and with no extension) ** Be sure to show your extensions via Explorer ( e.g., For a Win10 user.... open any Explorer window [Windows Key + E], Click the "View" menu option atop the window that appears, select the checkbox which says "File Name Extensions" ).

2. Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
    1. Find the file "hosts" | Right click the file, properties > security > advanced > take ownership : type in your account name (if you're unsure of your account name, start a CMD session and type "whoami" without the ""s. Once you've added yourself as the owner, set a full-access permission for the identifier "Everyone", then press OK until that security window disappears
    2. Now, rename that file to "hosts.bak"
  3. Go to the file you extracted and renamed (in steps 1&2) and place it in the following directory: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

4. Follow the same method of steps listed in #2, to remove any permission entries which you don't want to allow access (keep SYSTEM, ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES, and ALL RESTRICTED APPLICATION PACKAGES though).

... and that'll do it.

Attachments

• block.zip
    296.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Tbh running an Antivirus is really performance costly. If you only run software from a verified developer, there is really no need for one.

Back