CD & DVD Winamp files crashing explorer

charlie senator

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I've downloaded a few movies and after ive extracted them if i open the folder and it is a winamp file i get the box saying "explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close".I can open dvd burning software and navigate to the file and burn it to disc ! It's ok with iso's etc only happens with winamp files .Any ideas guys whats causing this ,should i just uninstall winamp ?

is the film an avi.

It could be due to a corrupt install of divx or xvid the later was a problem for me once.

If u can try changing the file type to work in WMP.
this will see if winamp is the problem. (unlikely i would think from ure description.)

The thing is i can burn the files to disc and they are ok. Its just when i open the folder to see the files it crashes explorer ?If i get rid of winamp and then extract the files will they come down as winavi files or something ?

they will just be AVI`S m8 not too sure bout winamp cos i don`t use it , charlie get urs self a copy of WINAVI m8 best program out ther by a mile does a 700mb avi in 20-30mins @ a rate of 70-100 fps(frames per secs to u m8 ) convertx does it slower at 30-40 fps and the quality is spot on even though its converting at that speed i`ve never had a bad copy after converting with it

The thing is i can burn the files to disc and they are ok. Its just when i open the folder to see the files it crashes explorer ?If i get rid of winamp and then extract the files will they come down as winavi files or something ?

i think it has little to do with the application u are using to watch it. it much more likely to be due to xvid or divx,

grab ureself a copy of gspot and drag the file on it if u can and see which of these it is.
then reinstall the appropriate codec.

Dee i don't use winamp although i have it .I've also got winavi/convertxtodvd and about every converting/burning software you could mention.Notmeatall you think it might be a codec problem? The files are avi and i've never had any probs before so maybe an updated codec is what i need .I'll try that link mate .Thanks guys its not a major prob as i can still burn the movies but its making me wonder what it is

Dee i don't use winamp although i have it .I've also got winavi/convertxtodvd and about every converting/burning software you could mention.Notmeatall you think it might be a codec problem? The files are avi and i've never had any probs before so maybe an updated codec is what i need .I'll try that link mate .Thanks guys its not a major prob as i can still burn the movies but its making me wonder what it is

It not a codec problem as such i think it just the way the codec behaves with the thumbnail bit in windows explorer. by ignoring the error and trying to play the file it was ok. just every time it tried to show the thumbnails it crashed

Thats a nice program notmeatall cheers .I checked one of the winamp files thats giving me trouble and it says everything is ok all the codecs are installed etc.I'm just curious to know why i can open it in winava with no trouble but if i click on the folder its in it crashes explorer . I might just uninstall winamp and see what happens
edit
Just read your post but its not when i try to view the thumbnails.It crashes the second i open the folder

Last edited:
Back