win 7 product codes

hatab

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
just a couple of quick questions

win 7 product codes am i right in thinking if you have a legitimate win7 professional code and it is with for example a levono laptop it will only work on another lenovo machine ?

ie if you were to load a copy of win7 professional onto a dell laptop when you put in the code that was on the lenovo laptop it will not load ?

or is that a load of old hewwy ?

Not tried it with 7, but with Vista you could use the OEM keys on other machines - I used the one off my Vaio on my self build.

If it does work, be aware that you can only activate OEM keys online a couple of times before you have to ring MS to activate. So take an image of your system should you ever need to reinstall.

AFAIK OEM keys are tied in with BIOS from that vendor. From what I have seen, the SLIC loader you select the vendor that you are emulating for the BIOS and the matching vendor license file.

lol oneman i read your post and thought wow all those tla and fla and even a f+1la.....

what it was i was installing 10 levono laptops for a german company in uk and they dont use win7 which the lappies i was installing had labels for. they had imaged some new hdd that i had to swap and these have xp pro on.

it was only the last two laptops that the penny dropped and i thought it might be an idea to jot down the product codes as these may be usefull as cust will never use.....

i suppose i can try on a virtual pc and see if it works.

@little_pob if it does work i will do an image thanks

If you really want to know how OEM keys are tied into BIOS I suggest popping over to mydigitallife and reading the thread on daz SLIC loader. Very interesting with good explaination of how activation works. I will warn you, the thread is over 1,400 posts long.

Back