Will I need a new aerial for terrestrial digital TV?

MOAMB

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok need some information.

Had a meeting today as im on the committee where we live and the management company are saying we have to change our aerial within the next 12 months or so to ensure we will be able to receive digital TV?

Is this true?

I was undering the impression that there was no need to change the aerial and it was just people believeing they needed to change it but in fact they didnt.

Im hoping im rite other wise iv made myself look a rite tit saying i was 99.9% sure we didnt have to change them. Oh well if i have it aint the first time and sure it wont be last time i look a tit. :banana:

Any information or links with the information would be a real help.

I live in Birmingham, West Midlands just incase it makes a difference where people live.

Thanks inadvance.

Ray

It really depends on your area and what type of Aerial you currently have fitted.There is no such thing as a "Digital" aerial but in some areas the signal is moving from one part of the spectrum to a different part. If your in one of these areas and your present aerial is not wideband then its possible you will need to have it replaced either for a wideband or for an aerial that picks up signals in the new part of the spectrum.The majority of people will likely need no change in aerial.

Ok need some information.

Had a meeting today as im on the committee where we live and the management company are saying we have to change our aerial within the next 12 months or so to ensure we will be able to receive digital TV?

Is this true?

I was undering the impression that there was no need to change the aerial and it was just people believeing they needed to change it but in fact they didnt.

Im hoping im rite other wise iv made myself look a rite tit saying i was 99.9% sure we didnt have to change them. Oh well if i have it aint the first time and sure it wont be last time i look a tit. :banana:

Any information or links with the information would be a real help.

I live in Birmingham, West Midlands just incase it makes a difference where people live.

Thanks inadvance.

Ray

Why don't you borrow a DIGITAL (terrestrial) set top box from someone and try it, then you'll be 100%, I cant believe your still watching the 5 analogue channels !!!!! (are you?) your area is scheduled to go digital only in march 2011 (I think) Digital UK - When do I switch? . if you's do fit a new ariel FFS use decent cable WF100 or similar.

Last edited:
After digital changeover transmitter coverage should be similar to present coverage on analogue. DTT transmitters after changeover will generally use same aerial group as the existing analogue TX's. The only reason to replace the aerial would be if it was found to be in poor condition. If you are not receiving TV from one of the main transmitters DTT will not be available yet as local relays don't carry DTT until changeover.

Back