Will cheap bell wire be ok?

theboss4

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi

I'm gonna mod an xbox i got off someone recently with a cheap Duo chip. Will bell wire be ok to use? Got it from Maplin?

Thanks

don't see why not, but use short lengths, fine thin wire is best. don't have excess wire all over the board. my box only needed one wire to mod as my chip uses a pinheader and pins soldered to board. smartxx

thanks, think i might use some telephone wire instead, seems thinner, found in garage.
Also, am i ok to solder from the top and not the bottom of the motherboard?

Watch out if using bell wire as it is not that flexible, I made that mistake as I couldnt be bothered to go and get soome more suitable wire and pulled a solder point from the bottom of the motherboard when a wire got pulled when putting the box back together had to meter around to find another suitable pont. Solder from the underside of the board, there are points there meant for soldering.

i see, thanks

So if i solder from the bottom/underneath the board, where does the chip lie?
Do i stick it to the board with some foam inbetween or something?

what version xbox you installing a 1.6 also what chip is it the duo x2
have you got the pin header for it.

my xbox is version 1.4 or 1.5, i'm not sure.
Apparently i need a multimeter to work out if its 1.4 or 1.5 which i dont have.
But as the 1.5 is rare i think i'll just install the chip as if its a 1.4
Yes Duo2lite i'm gonna use. Not sure if i get a pin header with it, whats that for?

you are going to need to check pin 2 with a earth before you can go further.
you can install that chip direct over the holes on your board and solder your chip to the board through the chip holes you will only need to wire up to the D0 and the BT which all can be done with out taking the board out

It worries me you going to end up having a fraging board if you do not know what you are doing and it may be better to pay somone £20. near you who could install the chip and put slayers 2.6 on for you
got to better then risking your xbox

thanks for the help.

what does 'check pin 2 with an earth actually mean'?

you also say that i can solder without moving the board but how do i solder the chip onto the board? surely i put through holes then solder from underneath, i.e i will have to take board out??

Also, the D0 point looks a bit tricky, got any tips? Also, someone said i need to use some stuff called FLUX, is this right?

As you have probably gathered i'm a complete novice at this but i'm determined to do it myself.

Thanks for all the help, great forum.

you are trying to see of pin 2 is connected to the earth on the board by using a multi meter, you would use continuity test (like a buzzer) so if pin 2 was connect to the earth on the multi meter it would buzz

One you know which version it is, you can line up the chip on top of the board and just fill the holes of the chip with solder making sure they are also going through to the holes into the board,when you do the D0 point it best to get a sharp blade and gently scrach the Do point a bit to remove and lacquer but only gently then you would dip you wire in a little flux put a little solder on to the wire and D0 point and solder the two together

if you got a old radio somthing thats Broken, take that to bits and try soldering bits of wire on to points on the board to see how you go

First thing i wouldnt use Bellwire thats for sure. not sure about telephone wire never tried it. the best wire to use is KYNAR wire! its strong, thin and very conductive and excellent for rebuilding circuits.

Ok i dont know much aobut the chip youve got but i used the executer, me n my friend we both had version 4's but it wouldnt have made a difference if it was version 5! Cus the installation was EXACTLY the same. the D0 point was the same, pin header went the same way and the HD & Network wires where the same too!

Just have a look and compare the installation method im sure you will find its the same!

Ive done all versions for family n friends, if ya need a hand drop me a PM.

p.s make sure u use a 15W soldering iron with a Thin tip, a solder removing sponge, lead free solder and ur away.

thanks for the advice

I followed the guide to work out what verion i have and got to the multimeter bit. Whats a multimeter? Can i just use a battery and a couple of wires with a bulb instead?

I'm getting mixed messages here, one person is saying different versions install different and one person is saying they are the same install?? (versons 1.4 and 1.5)

theboss4 said:
thanks for the advice

I followed the guide to work out what verion i have and got to the multimeter bit. Whats a multimeter? Can i just use a battery and a couple of wires with a bulb instead?

I'm getting mixed messages here, one person is saying different versions install different and one person is saying they are the same install?? (versons 1.4 and 1.5)

Sorry to confuse u mate, ive just had a look at the duo modchips and u have to make sure you have the right version number before isntalling. The chip i used(executer 2.6) it didnt matter. version 4 & 5 where installed the same way.

Sorry for the confusion, hope that clears things up for ya.

thanks

Whats a multimeter? Can i just use a battery and a couple of wires with a bulb instead?

theboss4 said:
thanks

Whats a multimeter? Can i just use a battery and a couple of wires with a bulb instead?

multimeter is that lil thing that measures measure voltake, resistant n current it has 2 prongs red and black. u get 2 kinds, 1 is digital and 1 is the one with a dial.

dont know about just putting a bulb wit 2 wires! personally i wouldnt try it mate. to be honest wit ya u got a version 1.4!

Back