Wii with homebrew channel

Thanks for all the help but still no luck.

Did a full reset of the console.
1- configured internet on console
2- Installed homebrew channel and hackmii on to IOS as i can not install into boot2 using letterbomb
3- followed this guide for updated IOS's
4- Installed cIOS following the guide
5- Installed USB Loader GX following the guide
6- Formatted multiple USBs using @spud1966 suggestion of FAT32FormatGUI
7- Transferred multiple different games in different formats (ISO, WBFS)

End result is the exact same no matter what. That they show in USB Loader GX but when i select a game i get a black screen for a few seconds and then it brings me back to homebrew channel menu.

Im going to see if there is alternatives methods to Installed homebrew and USB lancher as i think that is the problem.

Check it out

You need your Mac address inserted and hav to install the WAD files to make it work

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Mac address inserted and hav to install the WAD files to make it work

already did that twice and the same result. thats included in the two separate guides i followed.

the method in the video is using different app to install and mod the Wii so will give that a try tomorrow.

Last edited:
on your external drive

plug it into the bottom USB port — the one closest to edge of the Wii and the little rubber foot (the other port is reserved for games that require USB accessories like Rock Band).

do i need the game cube controller before i give this a whirl? if not i might give it a go now cause ive plenty of time on me hands and fk all to do but i am never successful with this stuff lol

it's just used for the game cube app (Emulator)

been a long time since i modded anything.

Use config usb loader rather than usb loader gx
Format hardrive fat32 (use panasonic formatting tool)
Use "WBFS manager" to convert game ISO's and write them to hardrive
Hardrive must be connected to a specific usb port (can't remember which one, so trial and error)
In CFG settings, set game loading cios to auto

That's about as much as I remember for now... I stilll have a wii hardrive, could pull the config folder of it, if you need it...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Using the video above i managed to get it to work. Looks like there is multiple reasons it wasn't working for me.

When i modded the wii it following the guide here only 15 WADs were installed but when using the method in the video 45 were installed. Also I found that USB loader was installed differently. Using the video method it was installed on the Wii homepage while using the guide i was following it was installed in the homebrew channel. I much prefer it on the Wii homepage.

A few other issues I ran into is that of my 5 USB sticks I tired only one of them worked so that may of been the problem I was having before as the one that works I did not try it with until I used the video method. Also for some USBs they were not recognise in the bottom USB but were in the top one. When testing using the guide i followed i was always using the top one since the USBs were not recognised in the bottom one. As spud mentions you have to use the bottom USB or the games wont work.

Tips in case people encounter issues.
- use video linked above.
- try multiple USBs. I could not get any USB3 or sandisks to work.
- Use the bottom usb slot closet to the rubber stops.

Thanks all for the help. especially @spud1966

i got it working yeahh, i probably couldnt have done it without yous, it feel good to have a success for once and it only 2 weeks ahead of plan, thought i was gonna have to ask for more help after claiming to be the king of wiis. cheers spud and whoever else cause i read them all i had to do a few extra stuff after that video

Last edited:
hi guys,
i recently updated my Wii and getting the 003 Error Unauthorized device has been detected. need help to fix this. I don't have a gamecube controller also i have been playing only 2 original games Sports resorts and WiiFit. Mine is a Korean Wii modified.

Back