wifi sharing internet

mach7

Inactive User
Reaction score
my neigbore has a actiontec router, he lives in a flat and he has allowed me to access his internet,

i can pickup his wifi signal but it is very weak.

is there any way to boost this signal, ie if i purchase some sort of repeater or some sort of device which i can setup in my flat .

i have at the mo a linksys access point, but i think this is not compatible with his router,

any ideas ,
thank you

allroad said:
get him to move his wifi point first and see if it helps

ALREADY TRIED IT DOESNT HELP, I ONLY GET SIGNAL IN ONE ROOM ONLY AND AT ONE PARTICULAR POINT,

you can sometimes get unofficial firmwares for routers, have a search around google and that, on the hacked firmware ou usually get options to boost signal power ect...

You can also buy for some wireless gear, additional atennae, that will help with signal strength & coverage (you could then fit this on 'his' router)....I know D-Link do these for their stuff.
Not much point in you getting a repeater, as there's no signal there to repeat (although you may be able to get your access point into repeater mode..no??)....
Really you need to look at the router end, what sort of building you in, is his flat above yours? Is it a steel framed building..??etc etc..

(although you may be able to get your access point into repeater mode..no??)....

I v tried setting my linksys into repeterer mode, by updating with a diff firmware, etc.. but it didnt pickup neighbores router, maybe his actiontec is not compatible with WDS ??? etc..:mad:

i dont want to keep borthering my neighbore as well

:mad:

I can't see why it shouldn't work as a repeater, suppose you may have to allow the ip address of the router in your access point & vice~versa...
But that still doesn't help with the signal problem..You could try taking your access point upstairs & plug into the router via cable, then see if you get any better signal..

Back