WIFI Extender query

Bk456

Inactive User
Reaction score
Ive got this TP-Link extender. I have a dead spot in my back room and want to improve WiFi signal. I also have my PS4 in the back room which i would like to use ethernet with...

TL-WA860RE | 300Mbps Wi-Fi Range Extender with AC Passthrough | TP-Link United Kingdom

I know I can install power line adaptors for the PS4 but Ive got this extender already and its got an ethernet port.

My understanding is its pointless installing the extender in the back room as its the room suffering from Wifi loss so plug is just going to suffer as well. So really that means you install it in the hall half way between broadband and back room. Then that means I cant plug ethernet from plug to PS4.

My question is, Can i use the extender as a power line plug, as in get a basic TP link power line adaptor, plug in at broadband, do the same with the extender in the back room and plug in to the PS4. Will the broadband be extended through its power line function or will the wifi extender still be working wirelessly with the hub.

Or will this idea not work at all...lol

Ive got this TP-Link extender. I have a dead spot in my back room and want to improve WiFi signal. I also have my PS4 in the back room which i would like to use ethernet with...

TL-WA860RE | 300Mbps Wi-Fi Range Extender with AC Passthrough | TP-Link United Kingdom

I know I can install power line adaptors for the PS4 but Ive got this extender already and its got an ethernet port.

My understanding is its pointless installing the extender in the back room as its the room suffering from Wifi loss so plug is just going to suffer as well. So really that means you install it in the hall half way between broadband and back room. Then that means I cant plug ethernet from plug to PS4.

My question is, Can i use the extender as a power line plug, as in get a basic TP link power line adaptor, plug in at broadband, do the same with the extender in the back room and plug in to the PS4. Will the broadband be extended through its power line function or will the wifi extender still be working wirelessly with the hub.

The thing you linked to is just a wifi adapter with a lan port. You'd not be using any internal house wiring but a wifi signal instead, so this would connect to your wifi signal and is not classed as a powerline adapter . If you already have bad wifi signal then i'd suggest something like this:

http://amzn.eu/j7XSCTk

Does not need to be this exact one. As you know, this uses the internal house wiring, but also has a lan port that you can connect your PS4 to and is a wifi enabled to extend your wifi range too!

that is what i had also bought but it kept turning my router off and rebooting it

I think you'll find that your TP link extender does not have the cuircuit inside to receive signals over the house mains wiring.

Is there a reason you can't connect your PS4 wireless to the tp link extender in the hall?

Most wireless routers these days and some extenders are actually faster than a wired connection.

Just my 2 cents,

In my experience no matter what it was anything TP-link is troublesome. If i add up the time i have trouble shooted TP-link stuff it will add to close to a week id say. Its not worth the head ache trust me.

Get someone from another manufacturer.

use a powerline adaptor into one of the ethernet ports on your router thats connected via the NTE. then you can use any old router as a wifi extender

Never ever ever use a powerline adapter, they can seriously impact the stability of your DSL line.
The will introduce FEC errors which can inturn generate CRC, then Errored Seconds then finally Serious ES.
Been there and have the t-shirt.

I lost 35Mb due to them.

Back