WiFi extender/booster help needed

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
My son and his mates have just moved into a large 6 bed property. They've just had Virgin installed but the WiFi in his room (which is the furthest away) is poor, very hit n miss, as you come down the stairs its fine.
I know theres wifi boosters but do they actually work ?. Another thing, I have a pair of TP-LINK TL-PA4020P i dont use he could have with a plug through and 2 ethernet sockets.

Is there anything ad or plug into the ethernet socket on a homeplug to improve the wifi in his room?

My son and his mates have just moved into a large 6 bed property. They've just had Virgin installed but the WiFi in his room (which is the furthest away) is poor, very hit n miss, as you come down the stairs its fine.
I know theres wifi boosters but do they actually work ?. Another thing, I have a pair of TP-LINK TL-PA4020P i dont use he could have with a plug through and 2 ethernet sockets.

Is there anything ad or plug into the ethernet socket on a homeplug to improve the wifi in his room?
You could add a wireless access point to the homeplug

One thing I'm currently looking at is to buy some areal extenders (if they have external aerials) and just move one of them to a more central point. This means you don't have to buy additional AP's

We use some tp link homeplugs that also beam the wifi out of the plugs as well. This set cost me a load but its for our son who is a real gamer. We have a 200mb connection and in his room he has 3 x ethernet ports in the homeplug and also wifi. He never gets below 165mb in his room.

Do they plug into the ethernet socket on the plug upstairs ?. The pa4020p had a plug socket on it
Yes you would just plug the WAP into the the homeplug in the troublesome bedroom via a LAN cable.
Then you can access the WAP by its web interface and set/change the SSID and wireless password.

I've looked at an extender TL-WA901ND and also the homeplug/wifi jobs WPA4220 were one homeplugs in the wall next to modem and the other plug is a wifi plug plugged into the electric socket in his room, which would you say is the best option ?

Thanks for that but over the weekend I picked up a pair of Tp-Link wifi homeplugs 600mbps for £15 hopefully it will sort it

Mesh systems work great, I picked up the below one some timeout ago after trying boosters and WiFi plug extenders netgear by all sorts but the mesh system actually worked for me. Was sceptical but it does actually do good for its intended purpose.

TP-Link Deco M5 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System, Up to 5500 sq ft Coverage, Compatible with Amazon Echo/Alexa, Antivirus Security Protection and Parental Controls, Pack of 3 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071241G3R/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ES.qFb6PVNGRG

Mesh systems work great.

for the extenders to work great, they need useable signal themselves. sounds like you would need 2 of them. one downstairs near the stairs and one at the top of the stairs.

a mesh system might work better

So there's two avenues I would go with this.
Either one, get one of those power line extenders because I always guaranteed better connectivity which would guarantee better throughput.
The other option I would recommend is going with a mesh Network instead of buying a wireless extender. I've had horrible experiences with wireless extenders and their lack of throughput. They're not really worth the money.

If you do a mesh network, you can always buy a ASUS router because they have the mesh Network functionality built into them. Then you can buy a second cheap router of theirs which usually is about the same price as one as far as extenders and have the two linked together wirelessly if you are unable to run ethernet cable.

I stock my own ethernet cable and tools so I help people out in my area that do need that to guarantee strong coverage across their entire property. I know the investment is a cost that lot people don't want to have to pay but once you have all the tools, it makes it very easy to run additional network cables throughout your property but then you can contract your services out to other people to help them do the same thing.

If I can hardwire a connection, I normally do.

Back