Wife wants a Kindle

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
So I thought , doddle that's till I looked at how many versions of the Kindle there are on the market today, Jesus.
Do all the latest Kindles let you put books on you download yourself from the usual places? Any advise as to which would be gladly accepted

Do you know you can download the kindle app from the app store. The reason I say this is that you could you use any tablet you want then download the kindle app but then also use other ebook readers to read you own downloaded books. I do this with a lenovo 8" tablet but then when I need i can use facebook or any other apps.

I do but I think she wants a designated one were she can read in sunlight nighttime all that.

As far as I know they all can be used for reading books from other sources. I use The Calibre program for windows to convert books to mobi format if required the to transfer books to the kindle. Wife has paperwhite version which she has had a couple of years. I also used calibre to transfer via email books to my sisters paperwhite kindle who lives in Scotland.

So I thought , doddle that's till I looked at how many versions of the Kindle there are on the market today, Jesus.
Do all the latest Kindles let you put books on you download yourself from the usual places? Any advise as to which would be gladly accepted
I've put books from the usual places on original kindle, paperwhite, Fire & Voyage so they defo work. Haven't heard of any that have been locked down yet. As @shaun127 says Calibre really good for maintaining the library.
HH.

I do but I think she wants a designated one were she can read in sunlight nighttime all that.
Kindle paperwhite is the business..I read every night in bed and love mine..when I have a good book I always look forward to going to bed to read..you can also get thousands of free books from amazon themselves most are rubbish but some are good reads plus books on here..anything in mobi format.

Do you know you can download the kindle app from the app store. The reason I say this is that you could you use any tablet you want then download the kindle app but then also use other ebook readers to read you own downloaded books. I do this with a lenovo 8" tablet but then when I need i can use facebook or any other apps.

in fairness to them they are great things. the batteries last months. my miss was very happy with the one i got her last year the paper white one.

my only complaint about them is they only take certain formats.

So which model is the best to buy say under £100 ? and when you say certain formats , can you not convert say with ;_
Online AZW ebook converter

Last edited:
I would agree with @shaun127 excellent bit of kit and can load your own ebooks on no problem,

I have used that online convertor plenty of times as well,it works fine,

I usually just convert them then email it to the kindle :)

oh they are a good piece of kit I had an early one with a keyboard and even has a basic internet browser in it. It stopped working some years ago.

So which model is the best to buy say under £100 ? and when you say certain formats , can you not convert say with ;_
Online AZW ebook converter
I use Hamster ebook converter..it’s free for windows and does a great job..just convert any ebook to mobi format and connect kindle to computer via usb cable and copy to docs folder on kindle..

Last edited:
Think all 3 are the same, wish the sellers would be more precise with model numbers. All 4gb memory & 300ppi display. The Tesco one will be absolutely fine.
HH.

That one from tesco is the same hardware wise but has " (this model is supplied with offers installed)." which means the kindle will have adverts from amazon on the kindle so every now and again you will see pop up offers for shopping at amazon as far as I know. Thats why I recommended the one from amazon without the offers installed.

heres some info. if it doesnt bother you then use the points. Kindle Paperwhite: With or Without Special Offers? 2017 Update - Pick My Reader

There is also a hack to remove them from the kindle.

Last edited:
Got the Mrs the Kindle paperwhite. Also you can put your email address on whitelist and email books to the Kindle. Saves messing around converting and transfering

I got mine one , she'll have to put up with the adverts , I'm no tight cnut a tenners a tenner ! :) 3 beers that

Little tip for buying Kindles etc that come with the ads/special offers

If you go into your Amazon account and select your device, go through the drop down selections saying either somethings wrong etc until you get the option for webchat etc

Ask if they can remove the ads, if not wait and go back on and hopefully you'll get someone else and ask again but failing all that say the ads aren't appropriate as you use the device for work and kids might see them and they will remove free of charge

I just did this this morning on my Fire 8 HD, took all of about 3mins

Back