Wickes...rename racist shed preserver..

This story seemed so dumb, I couldn't resist checking it out myself.

I was going to pop into Homebase this morning to buy a couple of spotlight bulbs, but went the extra half-mile to Wickes. ( a good move as it happens, the bulbs were cheaper there!)

Anyhow, the stuff that comes in cans has poncy names like, chestnut brown, acorn brown etc.

The cheaper stuff, which comes in large plastic tubs (not sold on the net) is much simpler. Light brown or dark brown.

They've got gallons of the stuff and don't know of any plans to rename it.

This story seemed so dumb, I couldn't resist checking it out myself.

I was going to pop into Homebase this morning to buy a couple of spotlight bulbs, but went the extra half-mile to Wickes. ( a good move as it happens, the bulbs were cheaper there!)

Anyhow, the stuff that comes in cans has poncy names like, chestnut brown, acorn brown etc.

The cheaper stuff, which comes in large plastic tubs (not sold on the net) is much simpler. Light brown or dark brown.

They've got gallons of the stuff and don't know of any plans to rename it.

Theres no/and never will be,any more dark brown in my local stores, i visited 3 stores the other day to check it myself.. it's not a story? it's an account of what happened to me...

the pic says dark brown but the description is chesnut brown. I wouldn't have thought the name change is to avoid racism (sounds like the assistant made that up, prob because they don't know the real reason) more likely trying to give the product a more interesting name.

thebigman

Theres no/and never will be,any more dark brown in my local stores, i visited 3 stores the other day to check it myself.. it's not a story? it's an account of what happened to me...

Yes but you have chosen to present it - in your own words - as:

Political correctness gone too far (in my humble opinion).

If I had had the same experience I might have presented it as:

"Sales assistant with an extreme dose of the Cod's Wallop."

Thats a fair point Hamba, maybe i could have presented it differently...or i'm too trusting/naive?

I am now thinking about getting some choclate (chesnut) brownies from scotmid for my lunch...

Sorry wasn't talking about your story m8. I meant the shop assistant.

Thats a fair point Hamba, maybe i could have presented it differently...or i'm too trusting/naive?

At least you seem to have a mind that is not stuck in a narrow cave.

Nice change to see someone reconsider their original view! :Clap::Clap::Clap:

:)

If rep was ever deserved...

Here's some for you!

Edit: I hope that doesn't sound patronizing: it's not intended to be.

Last edited:
I hear that the BNP are coming out with paint range called pure white

A quick google of dark brown gives me the picture below. I'm in agreement with google that the colour in the picture is dark brown?

Looks like Dark Burgundy to me :)

Last edited:
I can't even go into my local Wickes they banned me.

some Prat came up to me and asked if I wanted Decking

so I punched his lights out and they kicked me out.

I knew we were doomed when I was told I could no longer play outside with my Gollywog !! :(

If the idiots spent more money,time and effort trying to stop REAL rascism that effects real people on the streets of our country and stop clutching for soundbites instead !!

Rascism is a very serious issue, but by pulling feckin stupid stunts like calling a "blackboard" a "chalkboard" etc it belittles the subject and people think it is minorities that are pushin for this shit, and it aint.

It pencil pushin w*nkers trying to justify their salary.

But in balance I think it'd wrong that "coloured peeps" can have the "MOBO" awards and call it ok, if I started an award called the "CHALKIES" for whites only I would be hung drawn and quartered !!!

I have met rascists who aint white...................

The MOBO awards is an interesting excercise in positive racism.

In fact it is the epitome of exclusionary discrimination.

This might be a different topic. I think I have ranted on a different forum about this.

right so I could complain about them selling WHITE paint since I am white and find that racist? (that was sarcasm). Why not ban all colours, oh no, I said colour, I am going to burn in hell. PC laws are just going too far!

I have had black, coloured, Asian friends and they to be honest they do not give a sh*t. It's mainly the white middleclass do-gooders who raise all this crap up.

now breathe.....ahhhhhhhh

Last edited:
Back