Why is Sky so hard to crack

stuartnottobright

Inactive User
Reaction score
what does sky use to protect there channels as i have never heard of any one who has cracked it, just a general question really

Why is Sky so hard to crack....
The simple answer is their years of experience with piracy, huge finances and good insight.
Technical reasons include a unique special made hardware within the smartcard, known as an ASIC; anti-layer removal; anti-probe; anti-glitching/unlooping/voltage attacking; own hardware manufacture; high security at manufacture level; high security at card pre-issue level; high level encryption of data; technical math formulas; not giving licence for 3rd party hardware; not being compatible with other systems; and probably more that i've forgot at the moment lol.
They also heavily police the web on an 'Active' basis rather than a 'Passive' basis. Teams of paid profesional hackers, fake websites, spies, mafia connected recruits are all known to have 'unofficial' connections in their history, it is a very publically hidden dark business that they alledgedly invest in.

You need to break down each reason to learn more about the security, but basically its a unique system that they have developed from years of piracy experience over almost 2 decades. Nothing is impossible and its been cracked many times before, its just that as soon as anything is released money gets it closed.

Hacking anything is about hitting the weak points. Satellite tv is hit elsewhere with easier encryptions, its hit with 'sharing' and sky is hit abroad where they have less legal backing. So there really isnt a massive need for a sky hack imho..... which is a final reason perhaps?

i think personally sky can be cracked and there are people who know how to do it , but its a tight nit group who knows , nds is the encrytion.

one time ( a long long time ago) I believe you could place a defunct card in a freezer to reduce the resistance or somat like that,but now all is history.

one time ( a long long time ago) I believe you could place a defunct card in a freezer to reduce the resistance or somat like that,but now all is history.
along long time ago sky was hacked because it was analouge it is alot different now

It's funny, (well not a har har funny but)

Cable-TV *s hacked
yer b$kyb cannot be hacked, strange.

well not really as digi said cable is using an old system....where as SKY have thrown loads of money at it to keep it secure and private as possible. And who said it cannot be hacked.....theres no proof that it has or hasnt. There could be a private hack not in the public domain.......

Everything is hackable at some point or other. If it can be made it can be broken

NDS themselves hack all of their encryptions to see how hard it is to break, but they know the weak spots to go for, by doing this and policing sites they know when people are close enough to justify spending money on the next generation of encryption system, which probably already exists for when people get too close. 5 years ago they released 4.5 million new cards in less than a month, they were ready to go as soon as they realised someone was close, and theyre probably ready now for the next time

yea but it was over a year before they turned all the old cards off as i was working for them at the time

yes m8, but the hack that was about wasnt to do with actually 'hacking' sly as such, it was taking advantage of a weaknessin the activation of the old type cards, so already activated cards were not as much of a risk as cards ready to be activated, which is why so many were replaced in such a short time, then the longer standing customers had theirs replaced last

i think if we take it step by step takle each problem stage by stage

i think we could get close to hacking sky

Cracking thread...And very well explained...Ive wondered this myself

i cant beleave this thread is still going but some usefull views and info, how about another question then.

what about this new sky anytime, as this is done over the internet surely some one can hack this, unless sky have spent loads on security on this aswell.

sky anytime was hacked to bits before it was even live, they did it themselves to ensure it was secure before being released to the public, thats why it was delayed a few times

how do they hack it spain then ?

It's not.

They either have a legitimate subscription based at a valid UK address or they are using one of the many illegal re-transmission services, ie these people have a valid subscription and then transmit the decoded signal over a terrestial microwave setup.

Ive seen threads about re-transmission in Spanish holiday areas - and Ive seen other stuff about Sky turning a blind - what puzzles me is why dont the Spanish operators kick off ? Surely they are losing fortunes?

Back