Why is my DVD-ROM drive displaying as a different model?

five

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hello again like I stated in my last post ive been having a couple of problemes with my two new builds PCs and thank you all for your help.Im having a issue with my DVD-ROM Drive its the Pioneer 115D IDE version its running on a windows Vista 32bit ,probleme is it dosent display as this it display as somthing else the (PHONERD DVD RV DVR 105D ATA DEVICE) I recently installed a new motherboard the ASUS P5N-MX I can confirm it was running great and displaying fine in windows for about a week then suddenly appears as diffrent model and stopreconize DVD or CD, Ican confirm ive tranfered the DVD drive to another PC and works okay in that machine.What is my issue?.

Last edited:
It might have the wrong drivers installed mate.
first of all, go to system properties > hardware > right click on the dvd rom drive and click on update drivers and see if it finds better drivers.
if not, get the latest drivers and just install over it with the above method as it might not be on your system.

Did you do a fresh install of windows after you put your new board in sounds like you have criss cross driver problems like said above

id do a fresh install by the time you piss about with drivers it might be quicker to start again

I have tryed the properties update drivers method just come up with correct latestdrivers installed.What makes it worse is that Ive tryed a complete new fresh windows install with 32bit XP and Vista still come up as a (PHONERD DVD RV DVR 105D ATA DEVICE) ive downloaded the latest firmware for the Pioneer but even that says dosent reconize it,,is there other driver to look for maybe IDE drivers?

I would tend to look at the IDE data cable to make sure it's not dislodged/damaged.

The hardware drive string should be returned by the DRIVE FIRMWARE to the operating system, which in turn will just report it - so should not actually change without the firmware changing. The fact it comes up as PHONERD suggests that corroption is occuring in the data returned from the DVD, or that the firmware is corrupted by a bad flash?

Start with the easy stuff check the IDE cable. If it does not look dislodged the change it for a new one ... there could be a break on one of the connections.

Then try connecting it to another IDE channel to see if the motherboard is a fault. You should be able to see the device name reported in the BIOS. Use this to check.

Do NOT do the above - if you have not already flashed it then the chances are your issues are coms with the drive related ... in which case you would almost certianly kill the drive.

As he has stated:

1) the drive works in another PC.
2) the drive cannot be flashed in this PC as the flash tool will not recognise it.

I have seen these symptoms many times when the IDE cable is loose or the IDE controller is faulty.

Do NOT do the above - if you have not already flashed it then the chances are your issues are coms with the drive related ... in which case you would almost certianly kill the drive.

As he has stated:

1) the drive works in another PC.
2) the drive cannot be flashed in this PC as the flash tool will not recognise it.

I have seen these symptoms many times when the IDE cable is loose or the IDE controller is faulty.

but was the drive flashed with the right firmware 105 and 115 could be confused, how can you harm by reflashing?

mobo bios any new ones out?

Last edited:
I would tend to look at the IDE data cable to make sure it's not dislodged/damaged.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I had a similar problem with my laptop where the bracket on the back of the DVD drive had become loose and the drive wasn't sitting on the connector properly.

Okay thanks for the replys I will check my IDE cable out but isnt there any sort of IDE drivers needed or motherboard settings that will need changing in bios etc cheers.

Like said the Drive works perfectly fine in two other PCs so my guess its either the IDE cable or motherboard IDE connection port on ASUS P5N-MX only has one IDE connection.

Last edited:
What does it detect in the BIOS itself? windows might be detecting this rogue drive but if you go into the BIOS it should also detect the drive mate.

Back