why are my hamstrings tight and sore?

johnny bravo

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hi guys - i play cricket quite a lot mid week and both days at the weekend...ive had the usual aches and pains of playing cricket but that goes away after a few days..plus im not that young anymore, however im very fit as i go regualrly to the gym cardio mostly and light weights. I have noticed that both my hamstrings have gone really tight and are sore. I use to to be able to touch my toes without bending my knees but now the last 3 weeks i find it difficult to do that although after stretching for a few minutes i can do it..why are my hamstrings so tight and so ?..whats the best way to cure this problem...?..ta

Your hamstrings are the opposing mucles to your quadriceps. The quads are a much more powerful group of muscles and if you have been exercising more and playing more cricket you have probably developed your quads, putting more pressure on your hamstrings.

Do exercises that focus specifically on strengthening the hamstrings and make sure you stretch them as well.

Strengthening exercises in the gym are leg curls and multi-hip machine (cable hip extension/kickback)

To stretch your hamstrings yourself lie on your back, keep one leg on the floor knee bent and sling a towel around your foot just below the toes on the other leg, knee locked . Raise the leg as high as you can pulling on both ends of the towel. Here is a MET stretch (you will need someone else to do this with you) https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/236562/#post1754220

Last edited by a moderator:
Back