Why and when is a creative commons license in Photography necessary?

leona leona

Inactive User
Reaction score
I was having a chat with a colleague the other day and he didn't seem to know much about Creative commons licenses when it comes to photography. I know that the general intent is to keeps everyone safe and legal but i have rather very shallow information when it comes to Image copyrighting and uploading of images. Would anyone here be willing to elaborate more? :Wave:

Usually if you take the photo, you own the copyright (certain circumstances apply as to when you don't). And copyright is automatic upon the creation of the work; in the case of a photo this occurs when the shutter closes.

Creative Commons is a way of licencing any images you own the copyright on to the public domain - rather than an individual or entity.

Using a Creative Commons licence does not remove any of your rights as the copyright holder. For example; if you put one of your photos on Flikr or Wikimedia with a "NonCommercial" licence; then found someone selling prints of your photo. You'd be able to take them to court for a breach of copyright.

Back