Who the fook are Man City :)

Dutcho

VIP POOF
VIP Member
Reaction score
Darren Bent converted a last-gasp penalty to beat Manchester City 1-0 and claim Sunderland's first Premier League win of the season.

The Blacks Cats were thankful to a shocking first-half miss by City captain Carlos Tevez while the penalty came in the third minute of stoppage time.

Bent sidefooted the winner past Joe Hart with virtually the last kick of the game but it was no less than Steve Bruce's side deserved after a spirited second-half performance.

City were buoyant after beating Liverpool 3-0 last Monday before booking their place in the Europa League group stage and they dominated a first half which saw Tevez sidefoot over an empty net from 12 yards.

Sunderland lost Michael Turner and Fraizer Campbell to injury at half-time but pegged City back for long periods during the second half.

And although the best chance fell to City substitute Emmanuel Adebayor, who was denied by a superb point-blank save by Simon Mignolet, Sunderland kept pouring forward and claimed victory after Micah Richards bundled over Bent in the box.

City had controlled the opening 45 minutes with their pace and movement repeatedly stretching the Wearsiders, with Yaya Toure hugely impressive behind Tevez.
Poor finishing

However, a combination of poor finishing and good goalkeeping meant the Black Cats went in at the break with their clean sheet intact.

The visitors looked certain to score in the 16th minute when City broke following a Sunderland corner.

Yaya Toure charged down Kieran Richardson's shot before nicking the ball past Lee Cattermole on halfway to leave City with a three-on-one.

The summer signing advanced towards the edge of the box and drew Mignolet before squaring for Tevez, but the new City captain contrived to scoop his shot high over the bar.

Tevez might have made amends 13 minutes later after latching on to Richardson's misplaced pass, but Turner did just enough to deflect the ball wide.

Mignolet heroics

Mignolet then denied Yaya Toure after James Milner's free-kick was allowed to reach him unmarked at the far post.

The closest Sunderland went was when Bent glanced an early header wide and Jordan Henderson fired wide from distance.

Bruce was forced into a reshuffle at the break with Danny Welbeck and Phil Bardsley coming on for Campbell and Turner, and the pace and trickery of midfielder pair Ahmed Elmohamady and Steed Malbranque began to peg City back.

Hart had to punch clear as Bent tried to get onto Vincent Kompany's mistimed defensive header before the new England keeper palmed Elmohamady's wind-assisted cross round his near post.

Welbeck fired over with 68 minutes gone although Mignolet had to be at his best to deny City a 79th-minute opener, pulling off a superb reaction save to deny Adebayor after Richards had headed Milner's corner back across goal.

But the drama came right at the death following another teasing cross by Elmohamady. Hart dived to his left and Bent's spot-kick went under the visiting keeper as City conceded their first goal of the season - and Bent registered his fourth so far.

Mancini sacked by January transfer window?

What the boss had to say :)

Steve Bruce felt the last-gasp winner which gave Sunderland a 1-0 victory over Manchester City was no less than they deserved.

Darren Bent converted a penalty in the fourth minute of stoppage time to give the Black Cats their first Premier League win of the season after City had dominated the first half.

Carlos Tevez missed an open goal for the visitors but Sunderland overcame the loss of Michael Turner and Fraizer Campbell to injury at half-time to produce a spirited second-half performance and bounce back from last week's dismal 1-0 defeat at West Brom.

Although the best chance fell to City substitute Emmanuel Adebayor, who was denied by a superb point-blank save by Simon Mignolet, Sunderland kept pouring forward and Bent was bundled over by Micah Richards at the death.
Late drama

Bent's successful spot-kick condemned the visitors to their first defeat this term but Bruce pointed out that the Black Cats have often been on the receiving end of late drama, like when City earned a 1-1 draw at the Stadium of Light last season thanks to a late strike by Adam Johnson.

"Sine I've been here, we've conceded a few in the last two minutes so we know what it feels like," he told Sky Sports.

"It's always nice when it happens for you and you get the winner.

"I think we've had some luck with the Tevez miss. I don't think he'll miss a chance like that again.

"But overall we've stuck at it, even when we lost two players at half-time through injury, and in the end we've got our reward.

"It baffles me when I see a performance like that after what I witnessed last week and that's something we've got to address."

Sunderland were wary of City's wide men having watched them torment Liverpool last week but the Black Cats managed to frustrate City's star-studded line-up.

"We had to go and match them in the middle of the park and we did that," Bruce said.

"We saw them against Liverpool and made sure we closed the wide players down.

Wide threat

"James Milner and Adam Johnson were magnificent against Liverpool so we had to get to them and try to stop them playing.

"But the good thing for me is that when we had it, we played a bit ourselves, in the second half in particular I thought we were the better team."

Bruce also hailed new keeper Mignolet, who has been in impressive form since having to come straight in for the injured Craig Gordon.

"We've had to throw him in at the deep end," added the Black Cats boss. "We've just brought him in, he's only 21 and he's got a bright future ahead of him.

"To go and produce the save that kept us in the game was terrific.

"He'll remember that and it'll do him the world of good."

Back