Who do you think is the greatest British Boxer of all time?

godbowsdowntome

Inactive User
Reaction score
When I think of British Boxers, I think of Lennox Lewis and Joe Calzaghe. I'm sure there's a ton more that I'm not giving enough credit to. These are just fighters I've seen and enjoyed watching while growing up as a boxing fan. Right now I'm not as a big of a boxing fan as I once was. I used to enjoy boxing since the early 2000's but as of late there's not really Boxers that interest me anymore.

I would have to say Ted kid Lewis of all time followed close by Carl Froch but there has been many, many great British fighters in all weight divisions

@IANB I liked Jim Watt but would have to say Ken Buchanan was a harder fighter

a few great fighters to remember in no particular order or weight, most whom of I have been lucky enough to watch fight live :)

Joe Calzaghe
Nigel Benn
Chris Eubank
Lennox Lewis
Steve Collins
Henry Cooper
Duke McKenzie
John Conteh
Herol Graham
Lloyd Honeyghan
Ricky Hatton
Barry McGuigan

Probably lots more I've forgotten

I'll also throw Walter McGowan into the mix. He would have had a far longer reign as World Flyweight Champion if it wasn't for his tendency to cut easily.

I think Ken Buchanan should have been given a rematch with Roberto Duran. He definitely deserved one.
I think Joe Calzaghe is up there.

He was indeed,but he wasn't British ;)
Sent from my Z using Tapatalk

Aye his nickname gave it away for the Ulsterman 'The Clones Cyclone'
He was indeed a great fighter. I hope his Edinburgh fighter Josh Taylor becomes the next Ken Buchanan. The lad is good.

Ken Buchanan.

@nara I was sitting on the rank this morning and who should pass...20171101_100144.jpg

I had a good chat with him, he's still at his fighting weight and sharp as a tack and happily posed for me, I picked up a fare and as I was leaving I said I think I could have taken you in your heyday Ken, I think he's stick there laughing. :D:D

@nara I was sitting on the rank this morning and who should pass...View attachment 120554

I had a good chat with him, he's still at his fighting weight and sharp as a tack and happily posed for me, I picked up a fare and as I was leaving I said I think I could have taken you in your heyday Ken, I think he's stick there laughing. :D:D

I am so glad he is as sharp a tack and looking healthy because some ex boxers unfortunately don't end up that way.

and if anyone says she is not British then why is the media saying she is lol

and if anyone says she is not British then why is the media saying she is lol

Irish nationality and boxed for Ireland at the Olympics?

Sounds Irish to me. :confused:

...but even if you think she's British, to claim that she's the greatest British boxer of all time is just plain daft imho.

Back