Whirring Noise at speed

ManofScience

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2001 (mark 1) Focus Estate makes a whirring noise when at speed. Seems to be coming from the back. I notice it most when i have the seats down (as it must be easier to hear?) usually when upto about 30/35 mph or when cornering sharply. it's only got 55,000. The higher the speed the higher the noise. doesn't change pitch with changing gear, it's constant with the speed of the car.

wheel bearings maybe?

Sounds like wheel bearings have gone.Jack car up and pull on wheel and if their is play they need changing

got to agree with the wheel bearings theory. Just do the test maddie describes, its pretty easy.

yep probbley wheel baring or it could be a sticky break caliper and the pads are down to the metal

yep probbley wheel baring or it could be a sticky break caliper and the pads are down to the metal

Hmm never thought about the caliper. will jack it up tonight, see if i can get play from the wheels, check the rear pads.

Looks like doing the job myself is a no go as i don't have a 5tonne press for the bearings lol

if you take all the hub off ect if it is the braing and take it round to your local garage they will usually press them in for you mate

Back