which processor?

Mark_The_Yid

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
I think if you take the cost of motherboards (older socket 775) and RAM (DDR2) into account then Core2 does seem to offer better value but upgrade wise i3 is a better path.

Once again I'm in agreement with oneman; an LGA1156 motherboard with i3 CPU is newer tech than Core2. You'd then have the i5 or i7-8xx upgrade path for the future (should you so wish). Plus there are no new Core2 CPUs being released.

Though, for what it's worth, if trying to get maximum bang-per-buck, I'd grab the i3-530 over the i3-540 purely for its known overclocking potential.

Thanks for replys guys. Having taken it all into account I have since come across this one

HDZ965FBGMBOX AMD Quad Core Phenom II X4 965 125 Watt!! Black Edition 3.4GHz Socket AM3 - Retail True Quad-Core Technology, 3.40GHz clock speed, 2MB L2 Cache, 8MB L3 cache, AMD CoolCore Technology, AMD Cool & Quiet v3.0, 3yr Warranty. : novatech.co.u

which seems exceptional value so think it's gonna be the one. A bit extra dosh but should perform well for the cash

Don't forget 3% cashback at Quidco.

If you don't mind me asking, what is she going to do with this PC?

If you don't mind me asking, what is she going to do with this PC?

Not that much although it will have a zillion programmes installed on the bugger but I'm fed up with her moaning that the last one I built her was too slow lol. I'll be fooked if she's gonna moan this time round:proud:

Phenom II x2 555, clocks easy to 3.8/4, low wattage, cheap, cheap AM2&DDR2 mobo, unless you into serious vid editing or a 3DS Max maniac, best bang for buck IMO.

Phenom II x2 555, clocks easy to 3.8/4, low wattage, cheap, cheap AM2&DDR2 mobo, unless you into serious vid editing or a 3DS Max maniac, best bang for buck IMO.

I was under the impression there is no garuntee it will unlock to four cores? Is this not the case?

She wants it to be in a micro atx case. Can you suggest a m/board please

I thought the x3 had a better chance of unlocked the 4th core. Depending on what you want to do something like a Gigabyte MA785GM offers good onboard video and features. Use it for my media centre PC no problem.

Well I think I've decided on the Phenom II x2 555 and I would like to attempt to unlock the extra cores and overlock to 3.7. Am I right in saying I need a motherboard capable of unlocking the cores? If so how do I tell if a motherboard is capable?

Ideally I want to keep cost to as little as possible.

You'll have the check the specs. With gigabyte they supply a utility called easytune for unlocking the extra cores. Asus have something similiar as well.

Back