which of the two device doi need awifi repeater or a wifi booster

joeblaze

DW Regular
Reaction score
one spot in our house has a really shit signal, im think i should by a booster or repreater for thewifi there. should i buy the rezpeter one or the booster one. am not even sure if the is a differance. i turn the advises on digitalworldz.uk

Depends on whether you want to go fully wireless or cabled / wifi

A wifi repeater operates by connecting to your wireless network and rebroadcasting it into a larger area of connectivity. On the other hand, a wifi extender links itself to your wireless network with the help of a wireless link and extends the network to more area in your house.

Wifi extenders are the best wifi boosters for consistent, reliable high speed wifi to every floor and corner of your home. Unlike repeaters or range extenders that rebroadcast existing wifi signals communicate directly with your gateway or wifi router using a wire.

WiFi extenders use a “wire” or cable as the means of communicating back to the router or source.

the room with the shit wifi signal is the room right next door to the room with the router. i couldnt get much further from the routerr without going into the attic or leaving the house and everything is dead on up here. it seems a bit weird to me that. instead of installing wiring id prefere to just tell them to go to another room with a better signal lol but would any of those devices mentioned by oggiman in the answer above be any help here?

What router are you using and is the wall that divides the rooms solid or a studded wall.

don't get a repeater - use an AP and cable form the router to where the AP is going, if cabling is out of the question try Ethernet over power, google "best Ethernet over power"

you may find replacing the routers wifi with a quality AP will fix the issue.

an alternative to a repeater is to set a mesh network will cost more but the end result will be worth it, google "uk mesh wifi"

A cost-free thing to try: If you can access the menu in your wifi router (often on a sticker underneath 192.168.n.n) you could try changing the wifi frequency (channel). Your 'deadspot' might be due to interference from a neighbour's network operating on the same frequency as your own.

i will try the change the channel thing first. its a normal talk talk router, think its the newest one its onlly a few months old. if changing the channel don't work should i get a booster or repeater are they the same?

i will try the change the channel thing first. its a normal talk talk router, think its the newest one its onlly a few months old. if changing the channel don't work should i get a booster or repeater are they the same?
Like someone else said, Do NOT get a booster or repeater, they are crap! If you have a weak signal and try to boost that or repeat that, you will get crap out. Crap In, Crap Out! Even if you have a new WiFirouter, it doesn't mean that it's going to be the best solution. Each house construction and layout is different and if your placement is say in one corner of the house, that is not a good central location for an RF Signal to transmit out from and receive from. What I would do is run a CAT5 cable from router into wall and up to the attic, then ceiling mount an Access Point like the Ubiquiti UAC-AP-Lite or UAC-AP-LR and pop the network cable out there. It will look like a Hi-Tech smoke detector and it's POE so you don't need power where the Access Point will be located.

I bought a mesh system and they work really well to help aid in the WiFi expanding around house

Back