which netgear adsl router to buy (help)

GIO

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I need a bit of experienced help,im about to buy a router to do a n office job and cant make up my mind what one to get,there both good but i need to know what one has that the other doesnt and without too much technical stuff what one would be the best and value for money.
If they both do about the same i would go for the cheaper rangemax as its the better price,im more concerned about conectivity than anything else,i dont want them phoning up every 2 mins the lose connection.
I have a rangemax myself (cable) the one with the lights at the front but was just wondering what this new one has,as it doesnt have the lights.

Netgear DG834N RangeMax NEXT Wireless ADSL Modem, Router.
by Netgear

and the

Netgear DG834PN RangeMax MIMO-G Wireless ADSL Modem Router with 4-port 10/100 switch

theres also this one NETGEAR DG834PN RangeMax ADSL Modem Wireless Router which is similar to one of the others.

link to page on amazon.[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_ce/202-3463801-7003033?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=netgear+adsl+wireless+routers&Go.x=14&Go.y=8"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_ce/202-3463801-7003033?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=netgear+adsl+wireless+routers&Go.x=14&Go.y=8[/ame]
keep looking towards the next model but dont know why.
cheers in advance
gio

Last edited:
Hi,

I've got the DG834N Draft N router which unless your other machines run with same hardware (Draft N - Rangemax Next) its pointless getting.
For the money I would stick with the RangeMax 834PN with 4 port switch (or similar) to be honest, as the pci and lappy cards are much cheaper than the RangeMax Next (being a new product) and can still run not far short of 300mbps (270mbps).

Hi,

I've got the DG834N Draft N router which unless your other machines run with same hardware (Draft N - Rangemax Next) its pointless getting.
For the money I would stick with the RangeMax 834PN with 4 port switch (or similar) to be honest, as the pci and lappy cards are much cheaper than the RangeMax Next (being a new product) and can still run not far short of 300mbps (270mbps).

U sayin Daz that the DG834N Draft N needs to be netgears own cards and that i can use any pci cards for the RangeMax 834PN (was goin to use different make of card to save money) as i have to buy approx 10.

No, what I'm saying is there are few Draft N hardware available (Netgear or a.n. other) and being a new product they are not cheap. And the network will only run at the same speed of the cards used.
e.g. if you stick in normal G cards (54mbps), then thats your limit on the network using a Draft N router, so no point going out spending quids on a Draft N router unless you get the cards to match (which as I said is gonna be costly).

However, the super g (128) or Rangemax are affordable and would have thought more than suits their needs.

It doesnt have to be a Netgear, as long as its the same standard. . I use Linksys gear and I swear by it. . . .

Gio, it would be very useful if you could find out what the specs are of the wireless card in the office machines. Do they already have wireless cards, or are you buying a full wireless solution.

Also, how far will the furthest PC be away from the router, and what kind of walls are the signals going through. These are all important factors to get a reliable office network that doesnt keep dropping the connection.

Gio, it would be very useful if you could find out what the specs are of the wireless card in the office machines. Do they already have wireless cards, or are you buying a full wireless solution.

Also, how far will the furthest PC be away from the router, and what kind of walls are the signals going through. These are all important factors to get a reliable office network that doesnt keep dropping the connection.

Never mentioned walls or distance because the walls are only gyproc and distance when the router is situated at approx centre of office the furthest wont be much more than 50 feet square all on one level.

My prob is just picking somethinig thats reliable and not going to drop connection a lot,there all idiots in the office(financial advisors) and i'll have them phoning for the stupidist things.

Done plenty of wireless before but all in peoples houses and ive done an office with 12 comps but it was a wired (cat5) setup.
Decided to try wireless for a change to save all the hassle of running cables everywhere again and probably save the punter money because it wont take so long.

Cards in the comps ,theres none yet,i was intending to put in (Asus wireless lan pci adapter 54mbps ) which ive used in many jobs with no probs.

Reason why i was going to go for the Rangemax series was to get good signal strength.
I think its really hard trying to find any wireless router thats dependable.

Back