which microsoft course?

TheCheekyMonkey

Inactive User
Reaction score
have been doing the ccna course, am halfway through, have a chance to do another course (networking) and would like to do more of the microsoft side of things, as to be honest this is more what i have been and am likely to be working on, which course would be best, and any specific names of the course. Alot of the work i do brings me into contact with the server side of things so something which will give me a good insite into that would be brill.

i could do the university certificate in advanced computer netowkring (microsoft) but this is basically the exact same as the cisco ccna just no cisco ios.

oneman, any thoughts?

cheers

have been doing the ccna course, am halfway through, have a chance to do another course (networking) and would like to do more of the microsoft side of things, as to be honest this is more what i have been and am likely to be working on, which course would be best, and any specific names of the course. Alot of the work i do brings me into contact with the server side of things so something which will give me a good insite into that would be brill.

i could do the university certificate in advanced computer netowkring (microsoft) but this is basically the exact same as the cisco ccna just no cisco ios.

oneman, any thoughts?

cheers

Depends what you want to do.

Up to Windows 2003, Microsoft offered an MCSE which was a general purpose all round "ultimate" certificate.

With Windows 7/2008 & newer products you get the status of MCTS in the area you done the exam in, eg Exchange Server, SQL Server, ...

If you want the all round then I suggest an MCSE + a few of the newer individual modules (one of your elective exams can be an MCTS based one - eg a core 'elective' module could be exchange 2007 so this would give you MCTS and count as one of the required modules for MCSE.

This would not really cover 2008 tho so you may end up wanting to do an MCTS course on Windows 2008 - There are some upgrade from 2003 exams so that may be the best route.

As Max says, there is a older W2K3 certification called MCSE which a general purpose server cert. You will need 4 core exams,

Managing and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Environment
Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure
Planning and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure
Planning, Implementing, and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Active Directory Infrastructure

Plus three elective from a long list of role specific exams. And then you can upgrade to MCSE W2K8 server

Or if you start down the W2K8 route, the equivalent would be MCITP

70-640 Active Directory
70-642 Network Infrastructure
70-643 Applications Platform
70-620 OR 70-624 Windows Vista Client, or Windows & client exam
70-647 Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Administrator Exam

In terms of networking, I suspect you know enough already. On top of that Microsoft focuses heavily on management of resources through Active Directory and various management tools.

In general it is possible to pass just attending the course and exam study material (transcender and examcram are two of the best for this). Still a failing that you do not need hands on experiance though it will help. Personally in your situation I would think about the MCSE as it is still a more widely recognised certification plus a large majority of companies are still on that platform.

Last edited:
thanks chaps, superb explanation, i think i will go for the mcse , just a bit confusing when you look at all the course names, and most prospectus dont actually give much explanation. Like i say i want to concentrate more on the microsoft side of things as thi is probably more of what i will be touching on.

cheers all, much appreciated.

done an MCP 10 years ago on Network Essentials not sure if its still part of the MCSE was back then... back in the days when i knew stuff about I.T now i rely on this forum lol

Network essentials died with NT, its now parts of Windows Server network essentials. Mainly IP based but a little bit of layer 1 and 2 in there are well. Of course microsoft abanden 7 layer ISO model but the basics are similar. Subneting, domains, DHCP, DNS, WINS, Bootp, etc.

how the hell do i find a colledge uni near me that does the course, preston dont, runcorn dont (despite being told they did) i`m at a loss.

anyone help.

I don't think many universities will do the courses. Will need to look at places like QA Training.

Back