which is easiest mota to do

mickmc68

DW Regular
Reaction score
hi which is easiest moto to do and can u buy the blackcat lead anywhere ? thanx in advance

Well all i know is the sb5100 is a bugger.
I've read so much about all this.
The sb4*** are easy. You don't need any hardware,you can send the file via tftp.
There's a tut in this forum.
But the 4**** are a lot deared than the sb5100,but i noticed now they can be done because on the blackcat jtag and software the price is creaping up.
I see the 4000 go for 50 quid plus which i'd be loathed to pay.
I payed about 30 quid for a sb5100(plus the post) on ebay .
I will get a 4000'd sooner or later to have a go,but the price will have to be right.

sb4200 is very simply to mod, but there is no free hacked firm for docsis 1.1, only for 1.0. If your isp migrates to 1.1 is possible that this stop working.

sb5100 is simply to mod aswell but you'll need a special cable for jtag ( called blackcat ). The hacked firms for this model work well with docsis 1.0, 1.1 and also 2.0 so i would recommend this other one.

yep have to agree...sb4200 , piece of piss to do mate...even for a thicko like me...cant go wrong....get one of these.

L33tpL4y4 said:
sb4200 is very simply to mod, but there is no free hacked firm for docsis 1.1, only for 1.0. If your isp migrates to 1.1 is possible that this stop working.

sb5100 is simply to mod aswell but you'll need a special cable for jtag ( called blackcat ). The hacked firms for this model work well with docsis 1.0, 1.1 and also 2.0 so i would recommend this other one.

I agree. I would recommend the 5100. It is easy enough to do this modem (follow the new tut in the downloads section) and it is a more future proof choice. It can be done with a serial (max adapter) connection but it far easier to do with a black cat jtag adapter. Tailor Made Circuits now stock these http://www.tailor-madecircuits.com/blackcat_clone.htm. Or you can make your own, they are no harder to make than a max232 adapter.

sb4100

I find the 5100 quite easy.

Ive got a 4100 here needs the mac changed and can't find anywhere on the "HACK" page to change the "ethernet mac".
Anyone advise pls
Its running

Software Version: SB4100-0.4.4.5-SCM01-NOSH-2.03
Hardware Version: 0
MIB Version: II
GUI Version: 1.0
VxWorks Version: 5.3

I can see I can change the HFC MAC Address or the USB CPE MAC Address from the "HACK page but nothing to change ETHERNET MAC Address.
Please advise.
Thanx..........

Ok guys got it sorted seems Ethernet mac dont need changin to get it back online.
Thanx....

Last edited:
Back