which cpu??

seanicca

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
which 1 of these 2 would people recommend?

intel e2180 or the amd athlon 64 x2 4400+

lookin at upgrading pc to dual core but unsure which to get, any advice/info appreciated

ATM intel chips are kicking amd's ass don't know why but they are better vaule for money

OMFG i sound like an intel fanboy (;))

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

The E2180 is much more over-clockable. You should be able to get around 3GHz using the standard cooler. Though the 1MB cache does hold it back a bit.

Unless you are on a really tight budget, think about spending the extra money and get a Core2 CPU, there are Core2 Duo on flee bay as people upgrade to quad core. Something like a E6400 tends to go for around £40.

i've got teh E4500 in my box and its great and hugely overclockable :)

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Intel for me. AMD has had it's day in the sun.

I'm still running an old AMD64 3400

The e2180 is a beast with it's 10x multiplier, meaning you can get extreme overclocks with weak ram and a weak board.

The 1mb cache is not much of a problem, you may lost a few frames in high end gaming but nothing that you will really notice. But it is still more than the AMD anyway, so a much better buy.

amd, the new Phenom are actually very good

Everything I have seen says that Intel beats it on everything using cost for cost basis on speed, power consumption and overclock-ability.

Apparently the ATI chip set is not so hot and is holding it back as well.

cheers for the replies, went to bowlers this morning and decided on the intel system

What did you end up getting then m8??

Do they still charge £4 to get in Bowlers??? I've not been for ages.

Curly

ended up getting a e2200, 2gb ram, gigabyte mobo, 250gb sata hdd all in a nice black case, cheeky ba$tards tried fobbing me off with a cheaper mbo at first till i pointed it out and said i wanted the gigabyte one and they changed it so all ok cost £170 which i was happy with for what i use it for, entry is £3compared to the last time i went about 12months ago half the stalls are empty but you can still find what you want

Back