which box??

premprop51

DW F1 champion 2011
VIP Member
Reaction score
think i asked this a while ago but im now about to buy a sat box,question is which box is best to buy?....been looking at tm800,dm800 or vu+duo, don't know much about sat boxes so just looking for best stable box good menus/epg etc!...also whats best the difference between a linux box and the standard???

cheers.

linux boxes are A LOT more powerfull than standard boxes, but, they also have a near vertical learning curve. once you get used to one though, youll never go back.

how much are you looking to spend? DM800 (original) and vu+ duo are £400. DM800 clone around £200 and TM800 £250

if you want to be able to record one channel while independantly watching another, then only the VU+duo can do this, the others can record and watch from the same transponder only

between the original DM800 and the clone, ive read so many threads about people having problems with clones, personally, i wouldnt bother with one

the TM800 hardware is bombproof, but, the software lets it down (at the moment), this 'should' hopefully be sorted in the next 6 weeks, making it a cheaper contender to the DM800 (original)

If you want reliability, forget the clone, if you want twin tuners, its only really the Vu+duo, if reliability and price limit your choice, its the TM800

i won a DM800 (original) and TM800, and have had a Vu+duo for a short while. the 800's are more than ample for my needs, and if i had to choose between the 2, the price would be what decided for me, and id go for the TM800

BUT, the software is'nt quite there yet if you like to tinker with things, to just watch HD telly, its fine

i should just add, the menus, epg, etc will be near enough the same on all 3 as theyre all enigma2 based, use one, and you can use them all

the latest thread about an epg for the tm800 has kindly been copied over from a vu+ forum by sicilian, which was probably originally written for the DM800

the only real difference is in the hardware, and the support from different teams, but if you only want it to watch telly on, then other factors like price and stability will take priority over team images, plugins, etc

well i have seen this same question asked about a dozen times over the last few weeks and each time its ended in an slanging match between the fans of each of these boxes.

Digidude has given a very good answer above which states exactly what each box has to offer.

Well done m8 you got it spot on.

i do try to be impartial, and give advice based upon my own experiences with receivers, like i metioned, i only owned the Vu+ duo for a very short while.

While some may say 'digidude = technomate' in my living room, my main viewing is a DM800, my bedrooms viewing is a DM7020 as well as a TM600, 800 and 8000 for playing with, the kids rooms have tm500 and 600s, the car has a DM500 (dont ask lol) and the missus house has a DM600, all DMs are originals

so even though my main viewing is DM, for the price, id still recommend the TM800 as long as twin tuners aint needed and the main use for the box is viewing and not tinkering

At this moment tm800 is a winner for the price and what is offering,
using as a salve just to watch record is the best.but for other functions will take a bit longer.
picture and sound quality is excellent .audio change is slow but will do for now until is fully fixed
I love it and I understand some function which is not relevant to being used as a slave
but overall I am very pleased with it.
tm800 can record one channel you can watch another from same tp as long as you use western digital hard disk
no problem:Clap::Clap::Clap:

im pretty sure the HDD i have in mine is a seagate hdd, ill have a look for the photos, as im way too lazy to open it up again, and this drive works for recording one channel and watching another from the same TP, i can record BBCHD and watch BBC Ci no problems

in the background hard disks are may be made by not more than 3 or 4 factories.
I tested 3 hard disk samsong-Seagate-wd-found out 500gb wd was the best for me.
no need of format no problem at all record anytime and play anytime I want.
also can record one hd channel can watch hd 2nd channel at the same time from same tp:Clap::Clap::Clap:

It did not take satwiz long to jump in and anounce the tm800 a "WINNER" thats what the problem is on this site lately. People who delibratley turn a discussion into a my box is better than your box argument. Well i say ban the f**king lot of them they are not here to help anyone or even worse they are here to help to line there own pockets.

lol..you might as well disregard ant satwiz posts full stop..as has been noticed by a few members...he is wihiut doubt the biggest Technoate "Fanboy" on this forum...and arguably on the TM payroll.....

The question asked originally has only 1 legitimate answer....the Vu +Duo is the best option if your willing to spend the cash...twin tuner, with good support and ability to ru DM images...

DM800 original is your second choice solid support, with a wide range of plugins and images.

TM800 is currently last choice at best...with majority of functions not working...until software image matures...if it maures ! Only plus point is that it is the cheapest of all the 3 alternatives mentioned.

lol..you might as well disregard ant satwiz posts full stop..as has been noticed by a few members...he is wihiut doubt the biggest Technoate "Fanboy" on this forum...and arguably on the TM payroll.....

The question asked originally has only 1 legitimate answer....the Vu +Duo is the best option if your willing to spend the cash...twin tuner, with good support and ability to ru DM images...

DM800 original is your second choice solid support, with a wide range of plugins and images.

TM800 is currently last choice at best...with majority of functions not working...until software image matures...if it maures ! Only plus point is that it is the cheapest of all the 3 alternatives mentioned.

I think is its better to not have a such a question"" Which box ?""This has been up all the time and i actually dont bother myself anylonger to answer such a question ,cause what ever is being said will be missunderstood!

Its better to read all posts concerning recivers both pos and neg and make a own choice afterwords other wise you will be disapp.

regards

sorry guys i didn't mean to start ANOTHER debate/argument about these boxes i was just looking for a little honest advice from someone who has previous experience with these boxes, all im looking for is a reliable box which i can get all the channels/hd/record etc so thanx digi/gsm for your advise...although about £150 difference it looks like the vu.

cheers guys.

It did not take satwiz long to jump in and anounce the tm800 a "WINNER" thats what the problem is on this site lately. People who delibratley turn a discussion into a my box is better than your box argument. Well i say ban the f**king lot of them they are not here to help anyone or even worse they are here to help to line there own pockets.
Totally agree guys. Members are already learning to ignore Satwiz, but anyone here just for trouble or trade wont last long. We have seen the recent cull of troublemakers so I'm sure this site will get back to being unbiased and helpful without arguments.
As long as there are lots of views then people can make their own minds up. I know Mickie, Admin & Mods, appreciate all decent members who spend your time replying for no gain. This forum is only so successful because of the amount of unbiased people who come here to post and offer genuine help.

premprop51, if you have the extra money then the VU+ Duo is the one to choose. If you want a lower budget then also consider the dm500hd or the even cheaper alternative would be a dm800 clone which many people use successfully. It is an everyday item used daily that you want to invest a lump of cash into, so I'd recommend spending that bit extra. In just the same way I wouldn't recommend a 20" tv for a family lounge, you need to spend a bit more to get what you need.

thanx for the advice pink ye iv always said you pay for what you get!
cheers m8.

I have been looking at the coolstream hd box, it's linux and open source
It runs neutrino images but can't find much user feedback.
It's being touted as the dbox3 (because it runs neutrino I think).

Hardware:Coolstream:NEO - TuxboxWIKI
COOLSTREAM NEO HD1 LINUX HIGH DEFINITION SATELLITE BOX on eBay (end time 21-Aug-10 14:55:34 BST)
HISAT : Motorised, Satellite TV equipment and information : Triple-Dragon, Qbox HD, NanoXX, Coolstream HD1, Diablo, Gibertini, Digiquest, Invacom

Want to find if someone else has one and is happy before I spend my pennys though.

There could be a few members around as well with old ITGate boxes they were using for cable that they aren't interested in converting to sat. A satellite tuner for an ITgate tgm220 is 28 pounds inc delivery. You should be able to pick up a tgm220 for next to nothing or maybe someone might even give you one and it's a linux based box. :)

I know they aren't new but would be well worth looking into for starting out or even for a second or third room before they all get thrown into the bin!

Here's a link for where is selling ITgate remotes, tuners etc at the minute. http://todoelectronica.com/tuner-satelite-para-itgate-tgm220-p-5437.html

Last edited:
There could be a few members around as well with old ITGate boxes they were using for cable that they aren't interested in converting to sat. A satellite tuner for an ITgate tgm220 is 28 pounds inc delivery. You should be able to pick up a tgm220 for next to nothing or maybe someone might even give you one and it's a linux based box. :)

I know they aren't new but would be well worth looking into for starting out or even for a second or third room before they all get thrown into the bin!

Here's a link for where is selling ITgate remotes, tuners etc at the minute. Itgate TGM-220

well said Eva, thats exactly wot i did with my ITGate, i swapped over the tuner now ive got a perfectly good working linux sat box, and with the ITGate 220 it has a usb slot at the back for attaching an external harddrive for recording but before you run out and start buying sat tuners check to see if the tuner is swappable cos not all ITGates have the swappable tuner,,,, so if anyone has an ITGate they r gonna throw out plz throw it my way ive got family who could be using it lol

Last edited:
Will these run a motorised dish?

Are images still developed for them and do they have the 'right' cam's available?

Back