Which BBQ do I buy?

mobad

Inactive User
Reaction score
So the sun is shining, football is getting interesting and weekend approaching.

I was thinking of poping into Argos to purchase a charcole BBQ tomorrow but not sure which one to get with the selection.

I have seen and liked the following 2 -

Buy Deluxe Kettle Charcoal BBQ. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for .

Buy Oil Drum Charcoal BBQ. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for .

The surfaces on them seem large enough to get plenty of meat on them to cook but as ive hardly ever cook food on a BBQ myself (only eaten from one), Im hoping you experts can point me in the right direction?

Cheers!

i have the oil drum one, its great, however its a coont to get all the ash out once your done. other than that no complaints!

There are some cheaper at sainsbury's if you have one near.
I've seen some kettle one's for £5 recently i'll put a link up for you if i find em'

There are some cheaper here from tesco.

Last edited:
I just got the half oil drum one from Wickes for £50, nice big bbq and decent quality well pleased, worth looking at.

Frenchman

I am not going to recommend one but just a couple of things to consider,
- How much cooking area do you need. Consider that you will most likely need an cooler area without ashes underneath to allow slower cooking items like sausages.
- How easy is it to get the ashes out, one have a flap at the bottom which makes it much easier.
- Do you need it to be portable, in which case how easy is it to get the legs off.
- Get one with a porcelain rack if you can, dead easy to clean.

So the sun is shining, football is getting interesting and weekend approaching.

I was thinking of poping into Argos to purchase a charcole BBQ tomorrow but not sure which one to get with the selection.

I have seen and liked the following 2 -

Buy Deluxe Kettle Charcoal BBQ. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for .

Buy Oil Drum Charcoal BBQ. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for .

The surfaces on them seem large enough to get plenty of meat on them to cook but as ive hardly ever cook food on a BBQ myself (only eaten from one), Im hoping you experts can point me in the right direction?

Cheers!

I wouldn't recommend either, because as you have said you have hardly any experience with a BBQ. Gas would be a better for you as it's alot easer for the beginner. Where to get one? Tesco, co-op, Asda or sainsbury's. Yes they are a little more expensive but you will have more control on cooking temps and times.

i would buy the on ethats NOT a circle as the other one seems to cook better (owned a few) make sure you buy some lighters or sticka nd pack it well 1st if you do taht you will have no problems keeping it hot

I wouldn't recommend either, because as you have said you have hardly any experience with a BBQ. Gas would be a better for you as it's alot easer for the beginner. Where to get one? Tesco, co-op, Asda or sainsbury's. Yes they are a little more expensive but you will have more control on cooking temps and times.

Noooooooooooo. It may be easier, but the food tastes nothing like a proper barbecue.

Try and get a charcoal one with a removable liner. That way you can just lift it out and tip out the ashes.

Have a few trial runs before cooking in earnest,

Focus had some cheap or if you want a throw away one try poundland.

Noooooooooooo. It may be easier, but the food tastes nothing like a proper barbecue.

Try and get a charcoal one with a removable liner. That way you can just lift it out and tip out the ashes.

Question; I'm looking for some decent charcoal bricketts, there seems to be a lot of rubbish on the market here. I used to use the Aussie ones but nobody seems to have them in stock this year, although they are available on-line. Can you recommend something else?

I got mine from B+Q for lumpwood charcoal, seems to last an age

Question; I'm looking for some decent charcoal bricketts, there seems to be a lot of rubbish on the market here. I used to use the Aussie ones but nobody seems to have them in stock this year, although they are available on-line. Can you recommend something else?

I don't use briquettes, the quality is too variable. I prefer the lumpwood charcoal.

Gas tastes fine imo i went to a m8's the other day and he did charcoal i noticed no difference in flavour but the aroma was much nicer.

I don't use briquettes, the quality is too variable. I prefer the lumpwood charcoal.

I agree totally the briquettes are crap. I like the satisfying pop noise the lumpwood makes as it gets hot. Only thing good about the briquettes is that they tend to last a bit longer and the ash seems to be denser and stay with the briquettes below grill level.

Im not sure why it is, but when im using the lumpwood with the slightest of breezes my burger ends up covered in ash. Normally im too drunk to care, but the other week I had a sober BBQ. Ash burgers yum yum.

Top BBQ tip: don't confuse BBQ lighting fluid with white spirit. The bottles I had looked the same after a few drinks, the effect was slightly different, 6 foot high toxic flames are overkill for BBQ purposes.

Gas tastes fine imo i went to a m8's the other day and he did charcoal i noticed no difference in flavour but the aroma was much nicer.

I got to agree that to me, gas + laverocks tastes the same as charcoal to me. You have the fat dripping off the food which hits the rocks, vapourises and flavours the food. If you want more flavour then you can get flavoured wood that you can soak and put on the BBQ. Its a shedload easier to control and no cleanup, you just put it on full wack for 15 minutes to burn off any residue.

Plus if you are cooking large quanties you don't have to worry about prep'ing more charcoal while you use the first lot. Don't do what happened at a recent BBQ and shove a whole 5kg bag in at once. just had way too much heat and everything was burnt. You will need to do 2 lots of 2.5kg, start cooking with the first lot then give it 1/2 hour and then light the second batch and it will be ready by the time the first one dies down.

The only problem would be run out of gas half way through cooking.

If you want more flavour then you can get flavoured wood that you can soak and put on the BBQ. Its a shedload easier to control and no cleanup, you just put it on full wack for 15 minutes to burn off any residue.

Hi Oneman can you recommend anywhere to get this flavoured wood

Thanks

I got to agree that to me, gas + laverocks tastes the same as charcoal to me. You have the fat dripping off the food which hits the rocks, vapourises and flavours the food. If you want more flavour then you can get flavoured wood that you can soak and put on the BBQ. Its a shedload easier to control and no cleanup, you just put it on full wack for 15 minutes to burn off any residue.

Plus if you are cooking large quanties you don't have to worry about prep'ing more charcoal while you use the first lot. Don't do what happened at a recent BBQ and shove a whole 5kg bag in at once. just had way too much heat and everything was burnt. You will need to do 2 lots of 2.5kg, start cooking with the first lot then give it 1/2 hour and then light the second batch and it will be ready by the time the first one dies down.

The only problem would be run out of gas half way through cooking.

Yeah im the same whack it on full for 15 mins burns everything off and kills any bacteria. Mine has alid and it gets to over 300 degrees according to the thermometer.

The other benefit is that gas is instant so if you decide to have a bbq last minute you can quickly and easily. Also if it's nice weather ive been known to do it several times a week for tea, i wouldn't if i had a charcoal one.

lol i let mine cool down and clean the grills every time i use it. I needn't bother then?

Back