Which 55 inch 4k TV?

I've got a 55" LG 4k tv, and the picture is mint. But my Xbox one x wont output at 4k on it properly. I bought my dad a 55" 4k samsung, and he loves it. I think it's more about personal preference than anything else. Unless you're getting an OLED or something, but then you're talking crazy money!

Thing is oled all Im chucking at it is IPTV and netflix. I think Ill like the software better in LG but I like the thought of 10 years screen burn warranty from samsung. I like value for money when it comes to TV's. I see samsung are letting you lease tv's where you get the latest model every year for a monthly fee

I see samsung are letting you lease tv's where you get the latest model every year for a monthly fee
I was 5 years out my TV repair apprenticeship till I finally managed to talk my parents out of renting their set. God knows how much they gave Granada over the years.
Televisions are far more affordable now than they were back in the day so if Samsung reflected that in their lease scheme it wouldn't be such a bad thing. Can't really see the profit though if they had to turnaround their stock every 12 months

Just checked that link. I can't see any benefit. Whether you pay over 6 months or 24 months you are paying the full cost of the tv but it's theirs to take away if and when you upgrade.

What warranty comes on these tvs when faults happen?

Thing is oled all Im chucking at it is IPTV and netflix. I think Ill like the software better in LG but I like the thought of 10 years screen burn warranty from samsung. I like value for money when it comes to TV's. I see samsung are letting you lease tv's where you get the latest model every year for a monthly fee
Problem i have with 4K TVs nowadays is sourcing proper 60fps 4K on that TV. You say netflix and IP*V.... netflix is an utter joke for 4K content @shaun127
With refference to IP*V on the TV you need to search high grade suppliers and connection atleast 40mbps.
Personally my TV is “sony bravia (KD-65ZD9) ATV2 70.0 android based OS and 72in 4K.
Picture is out of this world, and being honest you-tube shows best content.

Not a big fan of getting tech on drip, prices are dropping in 4K market. But its the OS in 4K TVs that makes me decide...... thats why i recommended android OS.
(its open source)

Last edited:
I dropped in to my local electrical store chatted with a mate and he mentioned he bought a sony bravia open sourced tv over lg and samsung,might look at them when funds get better.

Always read that the android sony's had terrible software laggy and buggy, so been put off by them plus the last sony I had , I had a lot of problems with it and have refused to buy sony since. but each to their own. I know a lot of Pals who have sony and swear by them

LG all day over Samsung for me. Also if you buy from John Lewis you get 5 year warranty

I also have LG and can’ fault it. I also prefer to have a separate media streaming device, rather than use the TVs os.

6 years richersounds @IANB but Ive always bought from JL previously. I l also prefer separate streaming device @avid, As said I fancy the LG but I like the 10 year screenburn warranty from Samsung. The days of me paying £2k for a telly are long gone. So these Open source Androids is anyone doing their own version of software?

6 years richersounds @IANB but Ive always bought from JL previously. I l also prefer separate streaming device @avid, As said I fancy the LG but I like the 10 year screenburn warranty from Samsung. The days of me paying £2k for a telly are long gone. So these Open source Androids is anyone doing their own version of software?

Shaun, how likely are you to have that TV for 10 years? Im going to presume not very likely, in which case why would you need that level of warranty? Also I don't believe you can get screen burn, I thought that was only the plasma ones?

LED are much less susceptible to screen burn but it can still occur with static pictures and static elements within a picture. This also can be worse on oled TVs.

I have many tvs over 10 years as i like to buy quality ones,even the replaced ones still worked with scart technology .

I have many tvs over 10 years as i like to buy quality ones,even the replaced ones still worked with scart technology .

Yes but TVs are infinitely cheaper these days, so there is little to no value in keeping them. In our house we have the following;

1 x 55" LG Smart
1 x 40" LG Smart
1 x 32" LG Smart
1 x 32" cheap ass make I cant remember
1 x 21" LG

That's basically a tv in every room bar 1 kids room, and main bedroom. When I first bought a flatscreen it was £900 for a 40" I think, that was over 10 years ago, I bought my 55" for £549 I think, that was about 2 years ago. I'd like to upgrade to a bigger tv, but my wife wont have any of it. Electronics are so cheap these days, it doesn't make sense to hoard them when you can simply upgrade much cheaper than previous years.

My mate bought a 55" OLED LG at the same time I got my 55", he paid over 3k for it, and dont get me wrong the picture is/was amazing, but now you can get an OLED for less than 2k. Perhaps im a picture snob these days, but scart >< I can't stand to watch SD, nevermind go and use a scart lol :)

Back