Where should I fit my dish?????

Curly

Inactive User
Reaction score
In between Bro and Mairyhinge. Hold that thought..
Hi,
I'm thinking of getting a motorised dish set up at home but not sure where to fit it.
The main problem is that the front of my house faces dead south, and I don't fancy a dish on the front wall.
I could put it on the side of the house but would the only be able to see any sats west of south.

The best place I can come up with is on my garage wall, which is detached from the main house and is at the bottom of the back garden.

What I can't figure out is if it will be able to see over my house from there??
It would be easier to guess with a prime focus dish but the one I've looked at is an offset and hard to tell.

In rough terms, what angle will the sats be at in the sky so that I can work out if this will be a good place???

Thanx

Cur1y

I am in Bolton btw, approx - Lat: 53:36:N Lon: 2:26:W

edit....... drawing attached

Last edited:
you could always lob it on the chimney stack if dish not too big or poss fit a tallish pole on the gable end to get clearance.

yeah that's another couple of options.
I fancied the idea of the garage wall as it would be easier to work on when setting up, as this will be my first attempt.
The chimney stack and on top of a pole seem a little daunting. I'll have to check out my life insurance :-/

Anybody any idea if it would pick up a signal on the garage?????

Thanx

Curly, will all depend on the line of sight i.e. anything in the way, tree's and the such like and also what you intend to pick up.

the diagram shows only 7metres from the back of the house which i have to say doesnt look promising to be able to clear a standard house. Really though i dont think anyone here can say, it totally depends on the site and all you can do is try :(. I would use the chimney stack, but if your not prepared to do that maybe try on a tall pole at the garage, then call in a professional installer if it dont work there?

I think I'll go for the pole on the garage then.
I don't fancy tying a rope to my ankles and the chimney stack so that I can look through the bedroom window to check the picture on the telly!!!

Thanks for your help so far..............might be popping in here from the cable rooms for more advice once its on the wall.

Curly

Not optimistic

Hi,

To clear an obstacle to view satellites from say 45E to 45W the arc of clearance would go from about 17 Deg up to 29 deg and back down to 15 deg for your location. Sky would be at about 22.5 deg elevation.

To put that in perspective, for a 26 deg satellite elevation, the horizontal distance to the obstruction (H) would need to be twice the vertical height of the obstruction above dish (V) .....[(180/Pi)*Arctan(H/V) = 26 Deg if I remember my trig].

What I'm trying to say is that to have a 2.5 deg clearance for Sky, H needs to be twice V.

By the way, the offset dish will usually have an offset angle of 22-24 deg so it would appear to be vertical when viewing Sky.

From your sketch, I don't really see an elegant solution. Could you mount the dish on the other side of your garage (the side furthest from your house)?

Cheers

Thanx Gary. Now we're talking!!!!
Thats the info I was after m8.
The other side of the garage faces north, so I would have to put it on a pole and face it back towards the house, and hopefully see over it.

I'll get my protractor out!!!!!!

Cur1y

Garage Siteing

Hi

I Put my rig on the back of the garage, which is south facing. Its a concrete
panel garage and i had to be very careful as not to crack any of the panels.
If you do mount your dish on the garage and its concrete , drill the holes in
between the panel joints and put up a couple of four B twos and mount the
dish on the timbers with long bolts going through to the panels.

fezzy

Back