where is my drive space going

dave_c

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hi all , few days ago , got mesage saying space low on drive c , when i checked it was showing i only had 6mb . i have deleted a few progs and bits i dont use anymore , also turned off windows updates , , done disc clean up etc , managed to get around 14 gb back , when checked today , it had gone down to 13.5 gb , just wondering whats taking it , running windows 7 os , tia

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
old.windows ? I type in search top right say for C drive size:gigantic

Sandra51

Reaction score
Check on how much space is being used for system restore points, your backups and also how much you have set for virtual memory.

edds

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
To free up a few gigs, download and install PatchCleaner. I got 30-40GB back on a few machines
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

trevortron

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had a WIN7 HP that did that a few years ago, it was a bundled HP backup utility that didn't clean up after itself.

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Use the attached mate it will show you where all your space is been used and help you to decide whats needed and whats not.
I ran that Jesus , the results looked like Stevie Wonder and Helen Keller had jointly made a patchwork quilt

jfish

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
couple of folders to delete that eat up disk space

stop windows updates service then delete folder c:\windows\softwaredistribtuon folder

delete log files in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS

AtoD

New Member ++
Reaction score
I use Treesize free. Simple to scan drives and folders and figure our where your space is being consumed.

dave_c

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
cheers ferret got a few gig back using that , but then was still losing space , noticed that the drive was still looking for updates , even tho i had turned off the windows updates , ie updates , firefox auto updates , think it might be the windows defender as when i checked that it said the last check was today at 04:12 , so went into options and turned the use this program feature off , will see what happens over next few days

TEST