where are the wireless tutorials

edogg

Inactive User
Reaction score
as above what has happened to the how to setup a home wireless network I used it but had to delete it as my hard drive is small and now one of my sons is having V****N broadband next Tuesday and the information he has says there modems do not support USB and his laptop might not have the right connections to set up his wireless router that V****n are supplying

Last edited:
If he is getting a wireless router installed then he is correct that it does not support USB. Good news is that it supports either wireless or Ethernet.

If your sons laptop has any sort of wireless then most likely it will be compatible unless he is using an older standard called 802.11a. Also if his laptop is less then 3 years old then most likely it will have built in Ethernet.

thanks oneman but what i really wanted to know was how to connect to the router to set up the security on the router and the laptop it was sometime ago when i did mine from the tutorial on this site and now I cant find the tut
you have to connect with a ethernet wire before you can connect through the wireless connection as far as i can remember

edogg

Not necessarily have to use Ethernet. After factory reset, most routers have default SSID (check manual) and no wireless security so you can connect with your laptop and setup the security.

What make / model router have you got ?

this may seem irrelevant to the rest of the thread, but onemans comment on 802.11a was incorrect. This refers to a standard for Wifi which has a greater stability to that of 802.11b or g.

You will commonly find laptops with 802.11a/b/g adapters fitted, as 802.11a is very common in the work place.

this may seem irrelevant to the rest of the thread, but onemans comment on 802.11a was incorrect. This refers to a standard for Wifi which has a greater stability to that of 802.11b or g.

You will commonly find laptops with 802.11a/b/g adapters fitted, as 802.11a is very common in the work place.

Though 802.11a support is available as an option on most chipsets, there are some chipsets without wireless support, e.g. at my work the Dell laptops we were buying did not support 802.11a till recently.

Anyway the chances are if the is a new router being installed then it will be 802.11b/g.

Not necessarily have to use Ethernet. After factory reset, most routers have default SSID (check manual) and no wireless security so you can connect with your laptop and setup the security.

What make / model router have you got ?

My son is having it fitted by V****n tomorrow and like i said when i bought my netgear i had to connect with the ethernet cable as the set up had to be done with laptop connected by cable

edogg

Let up know how it goes.

As I mentioned, you should be able to set it up justing using wireless.

******'s free router is 802.11/g so the laptop needs atleast a /g rating.
it also comes with a setup cd that has full intructions on what to do and when to do it.
i found it very easy to get connected.

******'s free router is 802.11/g so the laptop needs atleast a /g rating.
it also comes with a setup cd that has full intructions on what to do and when to do it.
i found it very easy to get connected.
if the router only uses 802.11g then you will need an 802.11b or 802.11g adapter to connect.

One of the difference of 802.11a is that it doesnt work with 802.11b/g equipment

thanks robin obviously its better when the router is supplied with cable connection company I had to buy mine and it was a pain in the ar** to set up the cd kept hanging up and i had to kepp reinstall the original internet software and then the run the router cd again until i found the gulde on here which is what the original question was "where has the how to set up a home wireless network guide gone "

edogg

Folks I think you'll find that 802.11a is most often used in the USA and is the 5Ghz Band not the 2.4Ghz we use in Europe for 802.11b/g/n (2.4Ghz being the unlicensed band in the UK)

Use of 5Ghz in the UK is not legal (not without a license anyway).

The addition of 802.11a in laptops is for travel outside the country of purchase IE taking your laptop on business abroad and being able to connect over there. Similarly US sold Laptops will have b/g/n capabilities now or soon for travellers coming in the other direction.

Convert.

Let up know how it goes.

As I mentioned, you should be able to set it up justing using wireless.

well as usual V****N forgot to post the router out so it wont be here till thursday so they say they did install the modem but the laptop (DELL) wouldn't connect to the internet the V Helpline sent me an email with a link to the dell file upgrade and when i got there i just downloaded the self extracting file and started FIREFOX and he was on the internet setting up FIREFOX was a pain because his stepdaughter who's lappy it is had set it up with user accounts for all her friends and for some reason i dont understand the addons for firefox such as adblock plus had to be installed for each user account.

an update The router arrived and my son who is a computer novice inserted the cd and followed the on screen prompts and it was that simple connected wirlessly with no problems
the only thing is it asks for a password but does not tell what encryption protection it is using and there doesn't seem to be anyway to configure the router to WPA if it isn't does anyone know what V****N use

edogg

Back