WhatsApp hacked

If you're really worried then move to Signal, there are other options available such as Wickr, Telegram et al, but until the masses move over, then it's still quite limited in the people using it.

Apparently thats how they got El Chapo when he was on the run, they infected his phone via whatsapp with the Israeli spyware. They say its an Israeli tech company that designed the spyware, i personally suspect Israeli goverment. They work in cahoots with the USA and no suprise the USA got the man they wanted for years.
(now in USA prison)
Personally i dont think any encryption is 100% bulletproof, if it is the secret services will eventually get round it. Three reasons being.... they have the money, they have the knowledge and the targets.
(after all its there job to spy on targets)

Whatsapp might say its end to end encryption? (who knows)
If you backup your phone/whatsapp on cloud that is another place your whatsapp info can be gathered up.
So then you say..... “turn cloud backup off”........ no good, as when you send someone else a message that has backup enabled they can get messages from there cloud account with your messages.
Whatsapp released a security update when they found out about the spyware. That update apparently fixed the exploit, that is one they knew about. No doubt security services are working on new spyware for whatsapp, thats not to say theres not already other tactics used that no one knows about.

Apparently thats how they got El Chapo when he was on the run, they infected his phone via whatsapp with the Israeli spyware. They say its an Israeli tech company that designed the spyware, i personally suspect Israeli goverment. They work in cahoots with the USA and no suprise the USA got the man they wanted for years.
(now in USA prison)
Personally i dont think any encryption is 100% bulletproof, if it is the secret services will eventually get round it. Three reasons being.... they have the money, they have the knowledge and the targets.
(after all its there job to spy on targets)

Whatsapp might say its end to end encryption? (who knows)
If you backup your phone/whatsapp on cloud that is another place your whatsapp info can be gathered up.
So then you say..... “turn cloud backup off”........ no good, as when you send someone else a message that has backup enabled they can get messages from there cloud account with your messages.
Whatsapp released a security update when they found out about the spyware. That update apparently fixed the exploit, that is one they knew about. No doubt security services are working on new spyware for whatsapp, thats not to say theres not already other tactics used that no one knows about.

Encryption is safe. Yes it can be cracked, but it's all about time and effort. It is widely believed that the NSA can and have cracked 1024 RSA, so you should as a minimum be using 2048 RSA, but to be safe use 4096 RSA, as the computing power to crack this would be immense. Even with quantum computing, it would take too long and too much power/resources to break the encryption code.

All software will inherently have bugs, code is not infallible, we as humans are not infallible. Even if the backup is made to the cloud, if it's between 2 people then you should have end to end encryption, meaning you need the private key to descramble the message. From what I know/read about the whatsapp hack, NSO targeted the actual phone, and not the application. They were basically slurping up all the info before it was encrypted via whatsapp, whatsapp was the launch vector to target the actual device.

If you want privacy without the impending adverts that whatsapp are moving to, then i'd suggest you move to Telegram or Signal. Signal is opensource, so is regarded as safer than telegram. Im sure the uptake on these will become larger once the whatsapp adverts kick in.

Back