Peripherals Whats the most powerfull 120/150mm 12v fan i can get ???

bilabonic

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Looking for a powerful case fan, not 3 wire GPU one, just standard 12v one with max airflow/speed.

Anyone recommend anything the bigger/higher CFM the better...

Cheers

More CFM generally means more noise. Is that going to be a problem?

If not see if you can source a 200CFM 120mm server fan - be warned they're rated over 60dB.

At 37dB it's not exactly quiet, but the 110CFM Scythe Kaze Jyuni 1900RPM Slip Stream 120mm might be one you want to look at too.

More CFM generally means more noise. Is that going to be a problem?

If not see if you can source a 200CFM 120mm server fan - be warned they're rated over 60dB.

At 37dB it's not exactly quiet, but the 110CFM Scythe Kaze Jyuni 1900RPM Slip Stream 120mm might be one you want to look at too.

That's EXACTLY what I want. I did buy a server fan but it has a small 6 pin socket.

I think it needs a control input to set the speed.

I just want to out 12v on it at fun it full speed all time.

What are the colours on the fan's fly lead, and do you have a soldering iron? ;)

Yep a couple of irons, used to do the Wii's back in the day soldering onto the chip legs (and the time when u had to dremel them !!):Biggrin2:

Heres the plug in server fan -

Colours are -

Red
Blue
Black
Yellow
Green

The small yellow/green wires are just for an indication LED.

Cheers

If yellow and green wires are for a status LED, red is likely 12v. Blue could be fan speed sensor.

I'd expect black to be ground as standard, that there are 3 of these is interesting, and a little confusing - @Spectre @danforth any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
There will be a speed output and a PWM input somewhere.

Have you tried searching for server fan pinouts?

If yellow and green wires are for a status LED, red is likely 12v. Blue could be fan speed sensor.

I'd expect black to be ground as standard, that there are 3 of these is interesting, and a little confusing - @Spectre @danforth any suggestions?

Had another look, as was on the phone before, there are 2 different wire gauges there.

Assuming the green, thinner black and yellow wires are for the status LED and/or failure alarm. The blue, red and thicker black and yellow wires would then be for the fan.

There will be a speed output and a PWM input somewhere.

Have you tried searching for server fan pinouts?

Looks like they might be proprietary, so would need to know what the server the fan was pulled from.

Had another look, as was on the phone before, there are 2 different wire gauges there.

Assuming the green, thinner black and yellow wires are for the status LED and/or failure alarm. The blue, red and thicker black and yellow wires would then be for the fan.

Looks like they might be proprietary, so would need to know what the server the fan was pulled from.

I thought eight pin was odd.

Well, since I've been invited to the party:-:Biggrin2:

Above sounds right to me, but since only full speed running is needed, red and black would be the one's I'd try.
A test across them with a multimeter, on the ohms range, may confirm (should be pretty low, but not s/c).
Then apply 12v (preferably for an external source, 9v battery may do) just to see if you're on the right lines.

I don't know much about these fans, my guess is the blue is for an internal speed control cct, the i/p for
which is derived from a temp sensor in the part that needs the cooling (eg cpu).
If so, it may need ground (or even +12v) for the fan to run permanently on full speed.

Sorry, don't think anyone can be specific. You really need info from the fan or server manufacturer, as already suggested.
In it's absence, you can only experiment, or maybe take it apart to see where the wires go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back