whats the cable limit? how many boxes can u connect?

cooltool

Inactive User
Reaction score
just wondering how many boxes can you connect to the standard cable (using splitters and ?busters)?
is there some limit?

I'm on N*L and have had 1 original cable box, 3 dbox's and a cable modem all connected at once and working fine. It will depend on the strength of the original incoming signal which can be adjusted by N*L at the box in the street when they do the initial installation.

I know you probably wanted an exact number as an answer but I think it will vary for the reason given.

t/w will fit 5 but only recomend 3

Im ex CW and i have had four boxes and modem connected and in use all at the same time with np at all.These were a mixture of boxes, old analouge,2 Digi boxes,and a dbox 2 + modem hope this helps a little

From what people are saying, it looks asif there is enough signal to have a box in nearly every room in the house. Obviously there is a technical restriction on the amount of boxes you have but looks like (in an average sized house) you could have a box in each room, plus a cable modem.

If you use a splitter and there is a free one not connected make sure you blank it off so you dont loose signal through it m8 that i was told by cable engineer some time ago.

DessertDog said:
If you use a splitter and there is a free one not connected make sure you blank it off so you dont loose signal through it m8 that i was told by cable engineer some time ago.

or better still put a splitter in with one less outlet ......

cool cheers for all that .. just thought it would be nice to make in house IPTV system stream a channel per box .. hehe

Hi, I know this might make the Top 10 most Stupidest Questions on here, but hey i'm gonna ask it anyways.

You say (DesDog) that you should cap any unused feeds off the splitter, what do you use for this or do you just leave the original plastic cap on.

leigh1979 said:
Hi, I know this might make the Top 10 most Stupidest Questions on here, but hey i'm gonna ask it anyways.
You say (DesDog) that you should cap any unused feeds off the splitter, what do you use for this or do you just leave the original plastic cap on.
yes m8 just that leave the cap on any unused points.

I don't know what the limit is but 4 dbox's, 1 cable modem and the subbed box here.

Have Fun

cooltool said:
cool cheers for all that .. just thought it would be nice to make in house IPTV system stream a channel per box .. hehe

I don't know what everyone else thinks but I don't know if this is a good idea for 2 reasons.

First: if a cable engineer comes knocking on your house how will you have time to remove all the boxes and for that many it won't be a slap on the wrist they will prosecute. Even if you do they will be asking: "what is all this cable for sir ????"

Second: If you don't subscribe to any services there is a good chance that your feed could be pulled at anytime or the cc's could find some way to wipe out the dbox and this would leave you with a very nice and expesive useless piece of kit.

This is just my opinion,

de_deej

DessertDog said:
If an engineer calls you dont have to let them in tell them to make an appointment.

I hear you but he still will have a lot of work to do to revert back to the original setup when the engineer comes.

de_deej

why a lot of work there is nothing illeagle to have cables going to other rooms or is there ????
as long as the box isnt connected there should be np.
i would just tell them that the box gets move about nothing wrong with that nothing in the contract to say you cannot move it to another room or that the cables were there when i moved in to the house i think you are worrying far too much

I just don't see the point in being greedy, when you are greedy you get caught.

de_deej

in my old house (before dbox2) i had a setup where i had a sat dish that went into a 4 way splitter which also could take in the normal RF antanna connector. So i put vcr/dvd/ntl box all on the RF port and i had (the same channel) in every room + a sat receiver for each out put. The ntl guy was quite happy fitting the box into the system as it ment less work for him , he didnt have to run many cables thorugh the house. ;)

de_deej said:
de_deej
Whos being greedy m8
I pay for the full packeage for one box i dont concider that being greedy.I have the other boxes so others in the house can watch what they want.

de_deej said:
de_deej
i dont think that it would make a difference if you use one box or ten .. even with one box you are breaking the law .. greed has nothing to with it.

cooltool said:
i dont think that it would make a difference if you use one box or ten .. even with one box you are breaking the law .. greed has nothing to with it.
Yep i agree m8 good point

Back