What was your salary in your first ever job?

Munkey

Inactive User
Reaction score
Back in the early 80's when I was a kid I used to work in a sweatshop in East London for £1/hour. Even back then it was slave labour LOL. I worked all summer and bought myself a top of the range Toshiba 12" CRT TV for my bedroom.:pimp:

Lucky these types of practices are rare these days but I think working there built some character LOL

£1014 pa working in a warehouse in 1978. may seem crap but the fiddle was excellent and also worked part time in a bar as well. not counting fiddling fruit machines and a bit of buying and selling stuff round the pubs. wish I'd saved my money instead of going to the clubing 4 or 5 times a week boozing would probably feel a lot better as well. price of a pint was 30p in the pub and about 60p to 75p at the nightcubs.

in 1975 worked 2 weeks in the Glasgow Meat Market for £12.50 a week during school holidays. found £20 in a unmarked envelope on my way home after the second week.

Last edited:
First ever job was in the Loch Long Hotel, Arrochar, where I worked as a porter/skivvie/general dogsbody for ten weeks in the Summer of 1966.

Salary? £8 per week(lodging and food free) plus generous tips from the bus-party coach drivers for helping them load/unload the baggage. :)

Happy days! I learned a lot that summer. :blushing:

£5/week, paid 32p NI I think, gave my mum £2 board, left me with £2.68.
1972 petrol was 31p/gallon and a pint of mild was 12p

My first job as an apprentice sheet metal worker in 1973 was £7.43p per week, £2.00 board, saved £2.00 and got pished on the rest and I still had money left on my next pay day. :proud:

me was shelf stacker in tescos for the princly sum of £4 per week
best of it i turned a job down in kodak working as a mail lad with opertunitys to go into management
@ £12 per week to stay on and get more qualifications which i got 7 cse's
was it worth it noooooooooooooooooooooooo

£19 a day working in a shop. Was only 10yrs ago. Saved up and got myself a brand new ps1

£25 a week on a YOP course, £15 a week board, FFS, bus fares were three quid a week, left me with seven, grrr.

Mine Was 9 Quide A Week Gave Me Mum A 5er 4quide For Meself Back In 72

Eeee thee all had it easy...

My first salary was about £33/month as an engineering apprentice. I had an 80 mile a day commute and had to pay for that myself! ....That's ignoring an earlier job washing up at a cafe which paid 2/- an hour (10p/hr in this new-fangled decimal stuff).

Those were the days... Do I miss the 60s/70's....No ******* way!

me was shelf stacker in tescos for the princly sum of £4 per week
best of it i turned a job down in kodak working as a mail lad with opertunitys to go into management
@ £12 per week to stay on and get more qualifications which i got 7 cse's
was it worth it noooooooooooooooooooooooo

You should have given it a try m8, just to see if anything developed lol

I was on a YTS on £25 p/w back in 1983
As an apprentice electrician I had to rip up the carpets and floorboards in an old folks home we we renovating.
Found £30 under the carpet :Clap:

Curly

Back in 84 £25 YTS scheme but left after 10 mths for a proper job in a bed warehouse for 120 takehome plus all the fiddles loading extra beds for the drivers to sell lol

£8,500 PA in 2000 ish as a ware house lacky!! worst job ive ever ever had!! 4mx6m carpets rolled on my back putting them in lorries!!!

never been the same since!!! always get pins and needles now down my right side of my back!

£10 a day fiddle on a weekend working on a market stall.

A Saturday was a right rip off. We would set off at 2am to go from Durham up to Penrith market and get home about 8pm. Now that is one long shift for a tenner. We would then get back up again at 4am on Sunday and do Sedgfield boot sale and get home about 5pm.

Crazy long weekends work for £20!!!

started off on 10 quid a day on a saturday sweeping crap up in a double glazing factory, by the time i was 15 i was a fully qualified uPVC fabricator, left school and did an electrical apprentiship for about 2.50 an hour, finished that and worked for an agency building a liquid nitrogen plant, jumped from about 4 quid an hour to 36 quid an hour, damn i used to get into some states on the weekends lol

£55 per week in 1998

lol you know what i was better off then than i am now

Last edited:
I think it was around 50 shillings a week, or £2.50, as a fifteen year old van boy in a Belfast bakery back in 1964.

Back