What was your salary in your first ever job?

My first job was a YTS on £30 per week fulltime. That was in 1994, after 1 year I was laid off as they couldn't afford to pay me! :(

About £1500 per annum. Jeez that i bad. Get a lot more now, but still only have about £30 per week left over. ;)

got paid depending on the job, plumbers mate/lacky/labourer/runaround lol when i was 14

second job was at least £50 per shift working 5/6/7 hour shifts at weekends got a pay rise on my second day :D

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

£3.15 shillings a week for split shifts in a restaurant as a commis chef. 1 night off per week. 1969

I think it was around 50 shillings a week, or £2.50, as a fifteen year old van boy in a Belfast bakery back in 1964.

Thats not bad dough Hamba :roflmao:

£28 a week on a YTS as a sheet metal worker(a go get it boy & tea maker in reality) lol

£1.20 an hour when i left school working for my uncle in a wood factory think i lasted six monthe before told him where to stick his £1.20 an hour, after i found out everyone else was gettin 3 quid.

4.15 a week delivering newspapers.

1st proper job was being self employed earning upto £200 a day. on average about £700 a week. Best paid job i ever had in fact.

£19.77 in 1977 as an apprentice bookbinder

Some strange jobs on here LOL. Too bad computers put a load of jobs in the history bin.

I wonder if the bookbinder job still exists..

I was earning more when i was at school - I left school in 89 for a YTS on £29.50 per week.
At school i was doing 2x morning paper rounds, 1x evening paper round, 3x Sunday morning paper rounds(Heavy Fcukkers) 2x free weekly paper rounds and a Saturday job(£3 for the morning).All for about £40-£45 per week - All my money:proud:
Then leave and go on YTS and mother takes £10per week, bus fares to work/college were about £5....got worse when passed driving test - paying for car, Tax, Insurance out of £14per week.
Apprenticeship got £80 per week......look back and think was it all worth it????

a lot of peeps seem to be timserved what tradesmen do we have on here?

Sparks?

Plumbers?

Joiners?

Welders?

blacksmiths?

I wanna joined this elite group and become a plumber but its hard getting an apprenticeship now :(

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

i started on £150 quid a week for me dad while i was doing my first year sparks apprenticeship, i hardly did electrics, mainly did steel work, conservatories, loft conversions plumbing, basically everything but electrics.then i moved on different company in my 2nd year apprentice to get more electric experience and they took me on after a 6 week trial for them(my dad had to pay me them 6 weeks) then when i started with that firm properly, i blagged them i was getting 300 quid a week of my dad so they gave me that.lol.best move i ever made. then when i became a qualified spark i went back to me dads firm where i was payed 500 a week.lol. good ol' dads. now im in newcastle with another firm from durham. we all might be on more money now but we are all in even more debt.

Last edited:
Mine was a £23.50 per week YOP scheme.

It was at Motherwell Techy College on a 3 month Basic Engineering Course.

Life was good...cgt's were £0.37 for 10, and we were able to nip off to the Puddler for a few jars at lunchtime, which usually resulted in me falling asleep in some of the classrooms.

I also learnt how to gamble, and bet on various games as Blackjack, Shove ha'penny, and betting on who could stop a stopwatch the closest to 10 seconds.

I started serving my time as a Mechanical Engineer/Fabrication Welder. Unfortunately I wasn't able to complete my apprenticeship as the company went under, but I continued doing roughty toughty welding jobs until I got into the admin/PC/telecomms side of things.

Part of the initiation during my apprenticeship was to have my spuds "greased" with Swarfega...It took 10 of the sods to catch me & peel me off of a fence & back into the workshop :)

Sometimes I wish I was back to the hands-on side of things...at least the manual workers aren't going to be taken over by India/Pakistan...saying that, these jobs are being taken over by Eastern Bloc citizens...is nothing sacred? LoL.

aye mate a mind ye saying bit a journeyman mate jack of all trades ;) ko

its so hard to get an apprenticeship now tho

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

I started on a YTS in 1987 on £27.50 a week, got took on properly as CAD operator in 88, went from that pittance to £200 a week, nearly wet myself with all the extra money, wish i used it properly though instead of the partying

£100 a week in 1985 stripping and pollishing supermarket floors.
a £100 seemed like quite a lot of money back then, now it's the price of a tank of fuel

8 year ago started apprenticeship got £90 a week first year gave my mum a tenner and spent the rest on booze was out every thurs frid and sat night.second year of apprenticeship £120 still a tenner to my mum and rest on booze and clothes, 3rd year £150 a week still just a tenner (good mum a had) then bloody company goes bust and i find out missus is pregnant get a factorty job and still there to this day. Those 3 years as an apprentice were great had loads of money to myself now all goes on bills and spoilng my wee girl which i dont mind doin.

Back