What shall I get?

geordie_guy

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi peeps,
Finally got rid of my Satnav iCN330 and now looking for a pda mainly to use as a satellite navigation. I don't have a clue about these, I want to spend between £100-£130, not sure if could get something decent but I don't mind if its a second hand one. Could somebody please point me in a right direction.
Thanks

Mio 168 Digiwalker or similar clone. Excellent Sat Nav with built in GPS reciever, Runs latest Tomtom no problem.

No longer available new but plenty on Ebay for around £100.

hope this helps......

Freddy

Mio 168 Digiwalker or similar clone. Excellent Sat Nav with built in GPS reciever, Runs latest Tomtom no problem.

No longer available new but plenty on Ebay for around £100.

hope this helps......

Freddy

Cheers Freddy, I will have a look on ebay but is there anything else available in this price range? Any other suggestions?
Thanks

hi there

i have a dell axim x30 for about 12 month all i use it for is a sat nav and runs like a dream if this helps.

woz

Is there anyone using HP iPAQ h2210 pocket pc and would like to give some feedback on navigation and if its any good.
Thanks

Last edited:
I've been using a 2210 for a year or so, bought originally to create a sat nav system, and was really pleased it and bought another one for the wife.
The PDA itself has a very good processor, the only down side is the small amount of RAM - 64Mb which is wiped if the battery runs down, but its simply enough to work round that by doing a full system backup onto a SDcard which you can resore very quickly.
The 2210 only works with maps on CF card though, there is a bug with TomTom with the 2210 on SD card.

I paired mine with a Globalsat BT338 sat reciever which is excellent but I would imagine any bluetooth reciver based on SirfIII would be ok, or even a car mount with built in receiver.

Dirt cheap on ebay as well. I bought another for £50 to keep as a spare cos I also use the PDA functions alot for work.

Another decent PDA is the 1950 which has WIFI but no bluetooth, but works well in a car mount receiver, or the 4150 which has bluetooth

I've been using a 2210 for a year or so, bought originally to create a sat nav system, and was really pleased it and bought another one for the wife.
The PDA itself has a very good processor, the only down side is the small amount of RAM - 64Mb which is wiped if the battery runs down, but its simply enough to work round that by doing a full system backup onto a SDcard which you can resore very quickly.
The 2210 only works with maps on CF card though, there is a bug with TomTom with the 2210 on SD card.

I paired mine with a Globalsat BT338 sat reciever which is excellent but I would imagine any bluetooth reciver based on SirfIII would be ok, or even a car mount with built in receiver.

Dirt cheap on ebay as well. I bought another for £50 to keep as a spare cos I also use the PDA functions alot for work.

Another decent PDA is the 1950 which has WIFI but no bluetooth, but works well in a car mount receiver, or the 4150 which has bluetooth

Cheers m8 for sharing this info

Mio P350 recommended

Hi,
I got myself a MIO P350 Digiwalker on EBay for about £140. I think this is the model that replaces the 168 (See Fredericks reply). The 350 was one of the first to have a hidden/integrated GPS antenna (rather than a flip-up antenna) and a lovely big 3 inch colour screen.

This pice of kit works very well....a pity about the manual which is absloute Cr**. How you could produce such a lovely piece of kit and then not mention GPS setup in the manual, I don't know.

Plenty of software available for this Windows Pocket PC.

Cheers

Hi,
I got myself a MIO P350 Digiwalker on EBay for about £140. I think this is the model that replaces the 168 (See Fredericks reply). The 350 was one of the first to have a hidden/integrated GPS antenna (rather than a flip-up antenna) and a lovely big 3 inch colour screen.

This pice of kit works very well....a pity about the manual which is absloute Cr**. How you could produce such a lovely piece of kit and then not mention GPS setup in the manual, I don't know.

Plenty of software available for this Windows Pocket PC.

Cheers

Your absolutely correct, the P350 is the replacement for the Mio 168.

You dont actually have to flip the antenna for it to work, its OK in its rest position. It does however prove to be very useful as a stand if you want to watch a movie on the PDA sceeen in widescreen ( Landscape) !!

Either way , the Mio 168 is a great PDA Sat Nav and plenty on Ebay, and runs TT6 like a dream.

gps phone t-mobile - o2

I you are thinking of getting a contract phone looka the the MDA compact 3 (pda phone) it has builtin gps that works with TomTom

Back