what setting can i change so torrents will stop eif my vpn disconnects while downloading the files?

joeblaze

DW Regular
Reaction score
i was downlanding the other day so i left the computer for a while. when i came back to the computer the torrents were seeding but i was disconnected from the vpn. then today i was downloading a file because i dont want to destroy my physical copy and got a notification that my vpn disconnected but the downloads were still runing, ive tried different servers. this has never happen before

i use ipvanish as the vpn. i use qbitorrent and run my laptop on linux mint. am asking u experts i trust the info given here.

Your VPN should have a kill switch in the settings enable that. This will kill your internet if your VPN disconnects.

Your VPN should have a kill switch in the settings enable that. This will kill your internet if your VPN disconnects.

there is no ipvanish app i can see it on widnows clearly but this linux i cant see it. ive used linux for a long time ubuntu 6 i think but no next to nothing except use the internet

what i would really love to sort out is get ipvanish on my pi which has omv on it, then download on that instead of my laptop. but the amount of failures ive had when trying these computer things means and the time involved for me makes me not even wanna start

what i would really love to sort out is get ipvanish on my pi which has omv on it, then download on that instead of my laptop. but the amount of failures ive had when trying these computer things means and the time involved for me makes me not even wanna start

You should look at using docker containers on your Pi. I have Transmission running in one container which connects via a NordVPN connection in another container. If the NordVPN container stops working then Transmission will stop all downloads / uploads.

Take a look at these pages - Docker Hub & docker-transmission-openvpn

To install Docker on your Pi follow this guide - How to Install Docker on Rasberry Pi (Step-by-Step Guide)

If your using OMV, another method you could do which i have done in the past is using a Real Debrid account. Download torrents into my Real Debrid account and then enter the links to the real debrid files to the downloader in OMV.

You should look at using docker containers on your Pi. I have Transmission running in one container which connects via a NordVPN connection in another container. If the NordVPN container stops working then Transmission will stop all downloads / uploads.

Take a look at these pages - Docker Hub & docker-transmission-openvpn

To install Docker on your Pi follow this guide - How to Install Docker on Rasberry Pi (Step-by-Step Guide)

If your using OMV, another method you could do which i have done in the past is using a Real Debrid account. Download torrents into my Real Debrid account and then enter the links to the real debrid files to the downloader in OMV.

this is exactly how i would want it. i have docker with jellyfin and tried to install that openvpn a few times. cheers i might give it another go

if am dont get that sorted, i have tried a doing it a few times and failed. ill use the firewall, i cant have that disconnecting. still have a pi 2b doing nothing as well no idea what i to do i cant find a use for it but its wasted

Last edited:
i got the transmission with vpn installed, and it downloads but how can i be certian its working right because i didnt pick a server?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

i even have radarr but no idea what to do with that atm just something i read about a few times. i dont have big storage anyway

Last edited:
yeah but how do i do that through the vpn connection is my next problem. its shit like this that gets me frustrated with this computer stuff

yeah but how do i do that through the vpn connection is my next problem. its shit like this that gets me frustrated with this computer stuff

Visit IP/DNS Detect and do the following:

1. Click on Activate button.
2. Then copy the magnet link that appears.
3. In transmission, click on the open symbol and paste the magnet link you copied into the URL and then click on upload.
4. Wait a few minutes and you should see that the download will show you what it detected your IP address as.

I just leave that magnet link in my Transmission permanently for piece of mind as it will change anytime i reboot or reconnect my VPN.

have backed up me card ive never got this far before, i got jellyfin going then failed at everything and didnt wanna ruin that. i tried that transmission one loads of times before today when i realised there was a specific one i had to choose for the pi lol. could i also put pi hole on the saame pi as all this?

one last question if you guys will, how do i rename the files after downloading them on the pi it says i dont have permission for that.

last question seriously lol. should i start booting from a hard drive or usb instead of the sd card?

Last edited:
if i can learn this a bit i might get something more powerful to mess about with, this is a pi 3b i think and i have a 2 b but this is starting to look handy enough but its configuring the router is always the bit i fail at.

Back