What makes an LCD tv HD ready?

Welshwolf

Inactive User
Reaction score
as it says. Want to buy one but am i being conned by someone saying it is HD ready? when a normal lcd tv will do.

2 things that earn a set the term HDTV Ready and that's a high resolution panel and a HDMI connection.

You don't really need the HDMI connection in every case, though. Just a set with a high resolution panel and component video input. Sets like this though aren't labelled as HDTV Ready but you can get the exact same quality.

By the way,whether or not you want to invest in a HDTV is up to you but just thought I'd better let you know that there won't be a HDTV broadcast until early next year and that'll be on Sky and involves buying a new box off them to take it otherwise you'll have to wait at least another 5 years or so for it to be broadcast on Freeview and there isn't solid details on that as of yet.

Also there doesn't seem to any Hi-Def (H.264) recorders (apart from SLY's box) available.

There has been some talk of the BBC broadcasting Hi-Def signals also early next year also but it would be a subscription based service (get back to you on that one!).

Also only SLY are broadcasting Hi-Def Signals on a subscription package.........unless you have a sat reciever and possible subscription to a Hi-Def package (German one available Nov 2005 £10 pm)

chrome

chrome307 said:
Also there doesn't seem to any Hi-Def (H.264) recorders (apart from SLY's box) available.

I think Sony has one in the pipeline. They've got HD DVD players out anyway (I think they were HD, they had a HDMI connection anyway).

isn't Dvi the same as HDMI the only difference is that HDMI send digital sound through the socket, so most new lcd should be able to show HD as they have Dvi

Kris said:
By the way,whether or not you want to invest in a HDTV is up to you but just thought I'd better let you know that there won't be a HDTV broadcast until early next year and that'll be on Sky and involves buying a new box off them to take it otherwise you'll have to wait at least another 5 years or so for it to be broadcast on Freeview and there isn't solid details on that as of yet.

XBOX360 is HDTV quality and that comes out dec

Shipoftheline said:
XBOX360 is HDTV quality and that comes out dec

It is but it's not for HDTV broadcast. It's for HD games.

This is good. I was thinking the same thing about getting a HD ready tv. Not really needed, by the time it arrives it would be time for another tv.

Thx for info Kris and Chrome307

Back