What makes an LCD tv HD ready?

Welshwolf

Inactive User
Joined
Mar 5, 2005
Messages
373
Likes
2
#1
as it says. Want to buy one but am i being conned by someone saying it is HD ready? when a normal lcd tv will do.
 

Kris

Inactive User
Joined
Jul 19, 2004
Messages
1,719
Likes
6
#2
2 things that earn a set the term HDTV Ready and that's a high resolution panel and a HDMI connection.

You don't really need the HDMI connection in every case, though. Just a set with a high resolution panel and component video input. Sets like this though aren't labelled as HDTV Ready but you can get the exact same quality.
 

Kris

Inactive User
Joined
Jul 19, 2004
Messages
1,719
Likes
6
#3
By the way,whether or not you want to invest in a HDTV is up to you but just thought I'd better let you know that there won't be a HDTV broadcast until early next year and that'll be on Sky and involves buying a new box off them to take it otherwise you'll have to wait at least another 5 years or so for it to be broadcast on Freeview and there isn't solid details on that as of yet.
 

chrome307

New Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2005
Messages
1
Likes
6
#4
Also there doesn't seem to any Hi-Def (H.264) recorders (apart from SLY's box) available.

There has been some talk of the BBC broadcasting Hi-Def signals also early next year also but it would be a subscription based service (get back to you on that one!).

Also only SLY are broadcasting Hi-Def Signals on a subscription package.........unless you have a sat reciever and possible subscription to a Hi-Def package (German one available Nov 2005 £10 pm)

chrome
 

Kris

Inactive User
Joined
Jul 19, 2004
Messages
1,719
Likes
6
#5
chrome307 said:
Also there doesn't seem to any Hi-Def (H.264) recorders (apart from SLY's box) available.
I think Sony has one in the pipeline. They've got HD DVD players out anyway (I think they were HD, they had a HDMI connection anyway).
 
T

thisisatest

Guest
#6
isn't Dvi the same as HDMI the only difference is that HDMI send digital sound through the socket, so most new lcd should be able to show HD as they have Dvi
 
Joined
Sep 17, 2004
Messages
1,545
Likes
0
#7
Kris said:
By the way,whether or not you want to invest in a HDTV is up to you but just thought I'd better let you know that there won't be a HDTV broadcast until early next year and that'll be on Sky and involves buying a new box off them to take it otherwise you'll have to wait at least another 5 years or so for it to be broadcast on Freeview and there isn't solid details on that as of yet.
XBOX360 is HDTV quality and that comes out dec
 

Welshwolf

Inactive User
Joined
Mar 5, 2005
Messages
373
Likes
2
#10
This is good. I was thinking the same thing about getting a HD ready tv. Not really needed, by the time it arrives it would be time for another tv.

Thx for info Kris and Chrome307
 

Dutcho

VIP POOF
VIP Member
Joined
May 27, 2001
Messages
20,827
Likes
80
#11
Welshwolf said:
as it says. Want to buy one but am i being conned by someone saying it is HD ready? when a normal lcd tv will do.

The sticker on the fornt normally tells you ;) :Jester:
 
TEST
Top