What is going on with world?

I remember back in the early 80's my first wage pack labouring on site, about 50p a pint, chippy at night about £1:50 I was bringing home about £100-£120. I could be tuned and fed and taxi home for a tenner on a night out.

Wages now are about £400 labouring I went the races yesterday chips & fish was £13 and £7 a pint then a £15 taxi for a about a 3 mile journey back to our digs.
The same amount of beers, food, taxi home at least £100

Wages have gone up 4 fold while the cost of the same night out gone up 10 fold.

Your asked to work harder and for longer and for less. The only people who benefit are those who own the large businesses who just get richer.

Its £2.55 for a pint of st austells proper job in my local, shite worthy £2 strongbow £2.65 thatchers £2.85 stella £3.15, not a wetherspoons either its a craft union pub. Nearest 2 pubs in .5 miles walk are £4.5-£5 a pint work it out. Nice area.

Last edited:
Its £2.55 for a pint of st austells proper job in my local, shite worthy £2 strongbow £2.65 thatchers £2.85 stella £3.15, not a wetherspoons either its a craft union pub. Nearest 2 pubs in .5 miles walk are £4.5-£5 a pint work it out. Nice area.
I was just making a general comparison regarding the cost of things and what I paid then and now. There's a local sh#thole boozer to me that does £2.50 pint but tbh I'd sooner drink my own p#ss
At least my own p#ss would be colder and have a head on it

It’s called inflation, which is high at the moment and the spending power of fiat is depreciating.
The rich will always get richer because they invest their money smartly.
The S&P 500 has gone 615% in the last 13 years and is up 1514% since 1990. The Nasdaq is currently up 1130% in the last twenty years. But Bitcoin has had the biggest returns in the last 13 years it is currently up 90544042% from 2009. They invest in stocks and tech and now crypto.

I was just making a general comparison regarding the cost of things and what I paid then and now. There's a local sh#thole boozer to me that does £2.50 pint but tbh I'd sooner drink my own p#ss
At least my own p#ss would be colder and have a head on it
You don't live nowhere near me mate, where i live is in the sw countryside not some shit hole near you according to you, but thanks for confirming.
Dont misread this its not an insult, just things are relative to where some people live, as it happens here in .5 mile radius 2 country pubs £4-£5 a pint, the other with sky sports the other two don't have and still empty is £2-£3 a pint. Makes no sense. Wetherspoons cheap but 3 miles away to nearest

Last edited:
It’s called inflation, which is high at the moment and the spending power of fiat is depreciating.
Everything has gone up in price but nothing has gone up as slow as wages. It just means the working class are slowly slipping into the lower class. I watched about 5 minutes of the new prime minister debate that was ITV tonight,

If that's the best we've got then we're in more sh#t than we've ever been under Boris.

You don't live nowhere near me mate, where i live is in the sw countryside not some shit hole near you according to you, but thanks for confirming.
I said a sh#t hole boozer near me not sure what you read or what you mean.
Every average size town like mine has the 9am till 11pm boozer full of toothless shopping bag carrying clientele who'd drink turps if needed.

That's the type of boozer I was referring to

I said a sh#t hole boozer near me not sure what you read or what you mean.
Every average size town like mine has the 9am till 11pm boozer full of toothless shopping bag carrying clientele who'd drink turps if needed.

That's the type of boozer I was referring to
None here where I live, should of reread before posting i hadnt finished posting reply sorry. No pubs open here at 9am .

We have more than enough, plenty of food, gadgets, nice clothes, money to spend
when I was younger we had feck all and I mean feck all
some people are never happy with what they have
I'm happy with what I have which is my health which all that matters,
all the other stuff is a bonus

We have more than enough, plenty of food, gadgets, nice clothes, money to spend
when I was younger we had feck all and I mean feck all
some people are never happy with what they have
I'm happy with what I have which is my health which all that matters,
all the other stuff is a bonus
Well said.

I remember back in the early 80's my first wage pack labouring on site, about 50p a pint, chippy at night about £1:50 I was bringing home about £100-£120. I could be tuned and fed and taxi home for a tenner on a night out.

Wages now are about £400 labouring I went the races yesterday chips & fish was £13 and £7 a pint then a £15 taxi for a about a 3 mile journey back to our digs.
The same amount of beers, food, taxi home at least £100

Wages have gone up 4 fold while the cost of the same night out gone up 10 fold.

Your asked to work harder and for longer and for less. The only people who benefit are those who own the large businesses who just get richer.
You young uns don't know you're born :rolleyes:

My first job working 2 x 4 hour shifts from 10am to 2pm then back at 6pm to 10pm, 7 days a week with 3 shifts off at random, maybe a Tuesday evening a Thursday morning and a Friday morning, never 3 shifts together for the grand old sum of £5 a week. That was working in a 4 star hotel as a trainee assistant manager.

I left that job and got a better paid one with more sociable hours, working in an office from 9 to 5 for 5 days a week plus 9am to 1pm Saturdays for 5 pounds and 10 shillings 🤓

Hi Sandra51... Dragged up in Burnley.. Now living in Blackburn....

"it's a hard knock life for me..."....

There's a song there somewhere 🤣😂🤣😂

Back