What is budget for decent pocket Pc and nav s/w?

theoog

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi,

Having no sense of direction, I was about to take plunge and buy a TOMTOM one GB. I can get one from dixons for £156. Ease of use and speed cam functionality are important to me.

Hadn't considered buying a pocket Pc or PDA and loading the sat nav s/w on to it until now, but it appeals if I can use device as mp3 player etc as well.

What would you peeps recommend? Is there anything decent available that would give me equivalent functionality as the TomTOm one for same sort of price?

Can I get the sat nav s/w for free?

Are there downsides. Read a few threads where if PDA/PC battery charge goes flat you lose the sat nav s.w and have to reinstall.

Cheers, Oog

Ebuyer do some good packages with PDA plus GPS receiver and car mounts. I got an Ipaq 1950 plus GPS kit for £140, and they were also doing an Acer N35 plus kit for £130 i think.
The memory loss problem is an issue with WM2003 systems but PDAs with WM5 save your data to ROM so doesn't get lost if the battery goes flat (I think this is right).
But anyway its not too hard to do a full backup to SDcard so you can reinstall the full image anytime in a few minutes.
The software is easy to get hold on this site or P2P etc.
The other thing with I think is an advantage is that you can display the screen in portrait which gives you more of the road ahead on the screen whereas Tomtom is in landscape for some reason.

Thanks for advise.

Have found that total PDA are selling the Acer N35 with GPS receiver but w/o sat nav s/w installed for £92. (With TOmTom 5 pre-installed it's around £130)

Is this PDA suitable to load the Tomtom 6 s/w in dloads section onto it?

Does the s/w include UK maps or is tthis extra?

Cheers, Oog

well if you wanted a phone as well as built in gps that u want tomtom 6 on my mate got his self a mda mobile 5 all in 1 , off ebay i think 150.00, dont know what your buget is .

my xda mini is up in the classifieds section...

i had the mini xda before going to the orbit and i have to say the XDA mini s is a superb piece of kit and can also confirm it runs tomtom 6 very nicely.

I've got a Navman pin 570 from Halfords - £100 including car mount.

Great bit of kit. The maps were a little out of date (2005) but I've loaded tomtom6 onto it. Works beautifully - Although don't particularly like the appearance of tomtom 6.

Pocket Pc is a bit basic but handles the essentials well.

Back