What foreign languages can you speak?

Gargamel

Inactive User
Reaction score
Dont know if it's from watching Euro 2008 or something but I suddenly feel like learning a foreign language!

And learning one to a good speaking standard so I can have conversations (and not just be able to order drinks or get directions to the beach!!! lol)

What foreign languages do you guys speak?

There's a famous saying:

"People who speak three languages are trilingual, People who speak two languages are bilingual and people that speak one language are British"

I would love to speak another language, I meet with many other nationalities through my job and all our meetings are in English?

I think schools should push languages more?

:Clap: Well done Janobi mate, learning to speak a tonal language (Thai) must be very difficult? I know Thai has 5 tones: mid, low, high, rising, and falling

I.e. the same word has 5 different meanings just by the way you say it.

Last edited:
I think the english in meetings is a valid point. If I am not mistaken, english is considered the business language at the present time. I am sure this will change soon to Chinese or Indian however, who knows.

i work with alot of poles so i learn bits of there language everyday even they are supprised at things i have learnt. i have a rossetta stone cd with loads of languages on it never got round to learning 1 yet

i can speak enough french to survive, enough spanish to get by comfortably, understand enough maltese to know when someone is being sworn at and a little bit of welsh

my younger sister is fluent in maltese, italian, spanish and porteguese, and my younger brother fluent in maltese and very good at italian

I'm currently learning Spanish and have a few cd's etc.
I am able to ask for a table, order a beer and ask for the bill, so maybe that's enough lol.
I was hoping to practice a little while in Tenerife last month but found that they want to practice their English with me more.

Curly

Japanese / French / Thai / Welsh

Bits of Italian and swedish.

Awesome!

I can only imagine watching Kurosawa classics without the need for subtitles. Excellent communication skills.

Always wanted to learn German...only because i have a lot of their *cough* educational films :Smileysex

Last edited:
Yeah, I think your correct Karym? It's also the language of the skies. I.e. Commercial Airline Pilots etc.

correct, it possibly has so many more uses as well at the moment.

I would imagine though that this will change over time as other parts of the world gain more prominence. After all, there are a lot of spanish speakers in the world now.

Japanese / French / Thai / Welsh

Bits of Italian and swedish.

That is very impressive Janobi.

Personally I only speak English with a Belfast brouge....:proud:, I tried a little bit of Portuguese and Spanish with the Rosetta stone discs but its too bloody hard so gave up.

i can understand NED's if that counts. but would love to be able to speak scottish gaelic. im determined im going to learn someday

I can sing a song in Afrikaans, does that count? :)

I'm very continental French, German and a touch of Dutch but that's only because I've lived in these places, by far the easiest and most expedient way to learn another language but I would have to agree that schools def do not do enough to promote the course, especially as languages has recently been taken off the "compulsory" list.

a second language at school is not a compulsory subject? If that is true, its a big mistake.

Back