What foreign languages can you speak?

i'm british and my missus is maltese and fluent....to me it just sounds like a noise lol

Cheers for the props lads, but I learnt most of them whilst staying in these places. Its alot easier learning whilst engrossed in the country. @Monkey, its weird watching films in japanese, I have to have subs on, just in case I miss something, but I can get most of what they say.

As for Thai language, its hard as like welsh they have male and female, and you can look a right berk answering a question with a female reply. If that makes sense. lol.

I speak, English, Urdu, Punjabi fluently.........I can also manage a little Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin) and Portuguese....!

correct, it possibly has so many more uses as well at the moment.

I would imagine though that this will change over time as other parts of the world gain more prominence. After all, there are a lot of spanish speakers in the world now.

It will never change!

In fact English is becoming the main language of the world.

I know you'll say more people speak Chinese, but that's just in China 'cos there's so many of them.

In a thousand years I would suspect that English will be the only language.

I really wish I could speak Chinese or Japanese, maybe its not too late to learn?

Tell you what though I can speak a half dozen languages fluently but I have no idea what a Scotmans is going on about, but then again they're easier to understand than tinkers.

i can understand scottish perfectly, all them years on the phone to sky lol, ive taught loads of them the secret to pronouncing welsh names, it works every time, but only if youre scottish ;)

I really wish I could speak Chinese or Japanese, maybe its not too late to learn?
Me too. I did a 1 year night school in Japanese a few years ago, and for about 6 months afterwards I was fairly good. But unless I used it regularly I found I lost it. I can probably only remember how to introduce myself and say what I do now. :(. The strange thing is I'm still fairly good at French and German, and I haven't really spoken it since school. Oh, and of course my Geordie is fine :) after 10 years 'in the toon'.

If you do want to learn a new language, then there's loads of cheap courses run at night school. It's only a couple of hours a week. I reckon it's better than trying to learn on your own.

Norewgian for me! And I am moving there next Sunday!!!

I can do holiday Spanish and school German when it was compulsory, also I use to watch DSF when I had sky analogue years ago.

But the best was on a ferry between Holyhead and Ireland and there was a couple of coaches of Germans on board.
I was talking to my father (in English!) and the Germans had most of the seats all around us.
Well this particular guy moaned all the the way to Ireland about the service, the weather & even had a pop at the English manners.(all in German)
Anyway this guy was moaning about the queue at the hot drinks till, (what did he expect at 4am in the morning and nothing to do) I was still talking to my father, but earwigging at the same time.
The final straw came right near the end, I listen to him moan for about two hours and I just turned to him and said (in German) that he should have brought a flask.

They all turned around in amazement I could speak German....surprisingly this guy was pretty quite after that.

I can speak enough German, Tagalog, and Portugese to get a laugh from people who can really speak those languages. My wife is Filipino and I have worked in Germany and Angola. The reaction of people in the Philippines if you speak any Tagalog is amazement, it really inspires you to learn more, it does get harder as you get older though.

I once went to Morocco and learnt three words of Arabic before I left home: no, friend and thank you, they turned out to be handy in keeping the beggars away :RABBIT:

Another 'language' I remember from when I was younger is backslang. You take the first letter of a word and put it on the end and add A, so for instance backslang becomes ackslangbA and so on. Apparently it was a way criminals communicated when in public.

Last edited:
It will never change!

I know you'll say more people speak Chinese, but that's just in China 'cos there's so many of them.

This is a very blinkered opinion. Chinese is not the most spoken language. Its mandarin. And not only the Chinese speak it. Mandarin will stay as the most spoken language for a long time, and English is only the 3rd most spoken language. I believe French is 2nd.

English is not the language of the world, its ignorant people who try and make it the language of the world. When in Rome and all.

It will never change!

I doubt it very much that english will be the only language. As the economies of China and India continue to grow, I would imagine that these languages will become more prevalent in the business world and once this happens things will change.

French used to be the language of business untill very recently, and then it switched to english. I am sure it will change in the future again.

i can talk 4 but dont under stand any reply

You really do have to use language for a long period of time to internalise it.

I have had conversational French, better German, a drop of Spanish, and some Liverpudlian.

I always need to sit there and read a phrase book though to top me up, when going away.

I would love six months in another country to really ingest the culture/language.

Tell you what though I can speak a half dozen languages fluently but I have no idea what a Scotmans is going on about, but then again they're easier to understand than tinkers.

I work in a school (technician) and will be learning Japanese next term along with a couple of the pupils.. hopefully I will be able to keep up with them.

:proud:does Glaswegian and a bit of manc count
boy do they mancs speak funny (sorry bro lol)

@jan u fookin show off

I doubt it very much that english will be the only language. As the economies of China and India continue to grow, I would imagine that these languages will become more prevalent in the business world and once this happens things will change.

French used to be the language of business untill very recently, and then it switched to english. I am sure it will change in the future again.

Most educated Chinese and Indian people already speak English
Most people of the world learn English as a second language.
When was French the language of business?
Since all manufacturing business started in the industrial revolution in Britain

French was the preferred language of Nobility.

Back