what file types play through media server and what

Colin

Inactive User
Reaction score
file types do i need to decode on the fly using a 3rd party app?

hardly touched the ps3 since i set it up looking to set the media sharing up today...

I use PS3mediaserver a free program that is easy to setup. I will transcode on-the-fly anything that the PS3 cant play natively and just anything the ps3 can handle. The types of files I use are mainly MKV videos, 720p TV show rips. But I have also used it to watch MKV 9.5Gb blu ray rips with full 1080p resolution and DTS-HD 7.1 surround sound and the quality is full. I have also used it to stream full sized blu-ray films (but you need a gigabit network) the format is M2TS and they are around 40Gb, you get full res 1920x1080p full HD surround sound (if your amp can handle it) and full bitrate. So it looks and sounds just like it was on a blu-ray disk.

As far as audio 90% of my collection of 6500 albums is in FLAC format (MP3's are nowhere near CD quality even at 320KBPS) and they just stream perfectly as well.

I've tried several other apps, like Tversity, but nothing can do the full HD MKV files, and nothing is as easy to setup.

Also PS3mediaserver can handle internet radio and internet TV stations, as well as podcasts. Photo's as well.

There is no need to setup a media library (like tversity) just tell it which folders to watch and all the files and folders show up on your PS2 XMB instantly (unlike tversity). Anything you put in those folders is immediately available to watch or listen to.

I have only 1 complaint and that is that it doesnt play DTS audio files, well not yet.

I use PS3mediaserver a free program that is easy to setup. I will transcode on-the-fly anything that the PS3 cant play natively and just anything the ps3 can handle. The types of files I use are mainly MKV videos, 720p TV show rips. But I have also used it to watch MKV 9.5Gb blu ray rips with full 1080p resolution and DTS-HD 7.1 surround sound and the quality is full. I have also used it to stream full sized blu-ray films (but you need a gigabit network) the format is M2TS and they are around 40Gb, you get full res 1920x1080p full HD surround sound (if your amp can handle it) and full bitrate. So it looks and sounds just like it was on a blu-ray disk.

As far as audio 90% of my collection of 6500 albums is in FLAC format (MP3's are nowhere near CD quality even at 320KBPS) and they just stream perfectly as well.

I've tried several other apps, like Tversity, but nothing can do the full HD MKV files, and nothing is as easy to setup.

Also PS3mediaserver can handle internet radio and internet TV stations, as well as podcasts. Photo's as well.

There is no need to setup a media library (like tversity) just tell it which folders to watch and all the files and folders show up on your PS2 XMB instantly (unlike tversity). Anything you put in those folders is immediately available to watch or listen to.

I have only 1 complaint and that is that it doesnt play DTS audio files, well not yet.

So it wont do DTS but will do DTS-HD weird!!

Back