What does shadowed mean ? please help

Jooooles

DW Regular +
Reaction score
I cant install a new system on a lappy because i keep getting a error saying bios and video is shadowed this is with both xp and vista discs

so what does shadowed mean whats this problem im at a loss as ive never seen this problem error before ?

can someone help please

to quote pc_guide

When enabled, this parameter turns on BIOS ROM shadowing for the block of memory that contains your system BIOS. This is normally F0000 to FFFFF (64K). See here for a full description of what ROM shadowing does; in short, it speeds up your system by copying the contents of your system BIOS code from the slow ROM in which it resides into faster RAM.

This setting normally defaults to "Enabled". Since the system BIOS code is used so extensively, shadowing it can cause a great deal of system performance improvement.

Why this is reporting an error i am less clear about.
Infact it is preferable to enable shadowing.
If is does cause an error disable it and see if that helps

Last edited:
Windows pretty much contains its own bios so the PC bios becomes much less important. Once it boots the machine it actually becomes more of a hinderance because it tends to run in an old 8086 compatability mode which can cause problems in windows. The memory hole created by shodowing (copying) the slow flash device into RAM can also cause problems in windows which expects you to have linear memory in one contiguous block without any holes.

How do i disable this shadowing i cant see the option in bios and the computer wont let is boot in safe mode ?

still got problems with this computer i cant get any Os system to load correctly it always hangs and goes no where

Back